What's new

XBox WMC - Asus RT- Ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Beandip

New Around Here
Greetings,

I have been searching the net for weeks and I always end up coming back to this site for answers so I figured I would post since everyone seems helpful. Thanks in advance even if you cant help.

I have 2 Xbox360s hooked up wirelessly to my Linksys E3000 router. My PC was hardwired in. I don't really play games on the 360s, but use them for streaming media through Windows Media Center. I could stream, with the Linksys, but the connection would randomly drop so I thought it was time to upgrade.

I upgraded my router to a Asus RT-AC68u and my connections are 3 times as strong as they were before, which is great, but now I can't get WMC to stream movies. I can setup the extenders and I can load the menus, but when I try to play anything its choppy or doesnt play at all and I get disconnected.

I steam netflix through both Xboxs and I have no issues at all. When I check the wireless signal to the Xbox, its full bars. When I do the network tuner on the WMC, it always comes up with Poor Network connection. I even moved the Xbox into the same room as the router and it always says poor connection and barely gives me 2 bars.

Ive tried the following, not all at the same time/ or order

All settings changed on 2.4ghz channel

1. Turned on port forwarding
2. Turned off hardware acceleration
3. Updating firmware to Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.39_0,
4. Increasing the Tx Power adjustment to 200
5. Turned off Explicit Beamforming
6. Dropped the Beacon Interval to 20
7. Dropped the RTS Interval to 100
8. Enabled IGMP Snooping
9. Enabled Turbo QAM
10. Enabled ACK Suppression
11. Changed Bandwidth to 20mhz only
12. Changed Control Channel to 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10
13. Had my next door neighbor do a Indian Rain dance
14. Assign IP to each Xbox

Im sure there is more, but thats all I remember at the moment.

At this point, Im open to any suggestions.

********************** SOLVED **********************

Installed Merlin's ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4422

Under the Wireless settings, there is a option "Optimized for Xbox"
I also Disabled the DLNA Media Server. I have a feeling that was blocking the Xbox from streaming.

Either way, Its working so I dont want to mess with it anymore.

Last edited:
What kind of 2.4 ghz link score do you get on a wireless laptop/PC when you use inSSIDer?

If you want to try something quick and easy, goto router settings and give your asus a completely new 2.4 ghz SSID. Use something that you've never used before.

What kind of 2.4 ghz link score do you get on a wireless laptop/PC when you use inSSIDer?

If you want to try something quick and easy, goto router settings and give your asus a completely new 2.4 ghz SSID. Use something that you've never used before.

I have tried giving my router multiple name for the SSID.

Key Master (ghostbusters reference, not the shirtty matrix 2)
Key Master 2.4/ 5
Asus 2.4/ 5
Surveillance Van 2

My PC is hardwired and the only wireless devices I use are 2 Iphones and the 2 Xbox 360. Dont think my link score would matter that much. Even when I have the Xbox literally next to the router the WMC Network monitor only shows 2 bars. If it makes a difference, I guess I can borrow a laptop from a friend and check.

Maybe the spaces in the ssid's name is tripping things up?

********************** SOLVED **********************

Installed ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4422

Under the Wireless settings, there is a option "Optimized for Xbox"
I also Disabled the DLNA Media Server. I have a feeling that was blocking the Xbox from streaming.

Either way, Its working so I dont want to mess with it anymore.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!