What's new

xfinity ipv6 issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blacgren

New Around Here
Using a RT-AC66U with merlin firmware 386.3_2 with xfinity as my isp @houston,tx.

As you can see from the attachments

IPv6 is set to native but IPv6 LAN Setting no matter what doesn't fill up or display anything.

System log instead shows me a wan IPv6 address and no clients!!

What is going on!!

Has any person had this experience?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-30 192733.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-30 192733.png
    354.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot 2021-08-30 193016.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-30 193016.png
    509.5 KB · Views: 145
Your WAN address seems to be your prefix delegation (2601:… /64), but no WAN address in the 2001: range.

l don't understand....
must l get a 2001:: range ipv6 address?
Anything wrong with the 2601::/64 range?

I’m no expert. I get a 2001:: /128 WAN address and a 2601:: /64 prefix delegation for LAN.

RT-AC66U on the latest RMerlin firmware? This must be the RT-AC66U_B1, correct?

1st yes the the latest RMerlin firmware
2nd l figured out the issue
l had the xfi gateway in bridge mode initially and never realized someone had turned it off, hence my wan was assigned a private ip address.​
When l turn the bridge mode back on...... viola all things are now configured correctly.​

That's good. using IPv6 is great, but since you're here, chances are you'll need to have a bit deeper of an understanding of it in the near future

Now, go to https://ipv6.he.net/certification/ and take the first 2-3 levels.
once you've registered, you can then use those credentials to claim a /48 at their tunnelbroker.net which is very nicely integrated in asus/merlin's DDNS, static or dynamic IP from your ISP
(That's all free of charge, to encourage faster/more widespread adoption.)

In case they should happen to need a /48 address space vs the /56 or /64 they likely get from their ISP.
free real estate is free real estate. You never know when you might want/need it to build something.

Griswald experiences with xfinity have always been the same. When an issue occurs and a tech arrives, the moment they notice anything non-xfinity issued, your equipment/software is the reason.
Currently running XB-whatever modem (not latest) in bridge mode, and at times they will send an update, which will put the modem back to router status. I have my isp router setup to broadcast a specific wifi name, so I know I need to address the isp modem.