What's new

XR500 stock or X10 with 3rd party firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GabrielPhoto

Occasional Visitor
Hello!
First post here.
default_smile.png

I own the Asus N66u running Merlin firmware. I have x-finity 1Gigabit service and feel I can be doing better in terms of speed and coverage. Also would love to be able to select more channels in 5Ghz as I see lots of networks using the same channels I have while my phone app tells me about very clean channels I could be using yet my router gives me no access to those.
Anyways, I do some gaming (wired to my main PC not wireless), and just have the usual phones, tablets, down stairs PC with an AC network adapter.
I am planning to do a small server to host movies and maybe back up photo files there as well so a great speed for file transfers would be nice to have. Of course I will likely need to get a better wireless adapter for my downstairs HTPC or maybe I can find a faster AC network adapter than the one I have and same thing for the server I will have downstairs.
A local is selling a brand new X10 and asking $300 for it with 4 year square trade warranty. I can probably get it for a bit less too. So I am not sure if that is a good option or if I am better off with the newer xr500.

As far as Gaming goes, I have been "retired" for a long time but just back into it thanks to Oculus Rift. So not really doing anything competitive but I may jump back into COD4 if people still play that game or Battlefield. lol
I do have issues at home sometimes where my network seems to make my phones lag randomly so I am not sure if its due to other networks around or just the way the Asus router handles the wireless connections to all my different devices so I figured a newer router would be nice.
Also, do both 500 and x10 allow for those extended channels for 5Ghz?

Thanks!!