What's new

XT8 and XD4 Aimesh Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

supermags

New Around Here
Hi All,

Long time lurker but first time poster here. I just upgraded my triband Velops to a combo of 2 XT8's and 3 XD4s. I live in a large apartment with very thick concrete walls, and it's very congested on all wifi bands. I upgraded so i could get much more control over my network compared to the velops which offered little or no customization option. Wifi 6 was an added benefit.

My internet is 1gb fibre to the home. The fibre modem is connected to one of the XT8s, and the second XT8 and one of the XD4s are all connected through ethernet to the main router, and they all work perfectly. However i also have two wireless XD4s which connect to the wired XT8's, and those are showing some very odd behaviour.

In short, setup worked fine, and they sometimes show up with solid connections to the XT8s. At the moment both are connected on 5ghz backhaul and -38dbm (line of sight) and -60dbm (through one wall) signals, so they should be solid and stable. However, after a while they switch to 2.4ghz network, and usually within an hour or so they start blinking blue and disappear from the mesh. I have reset both units and set them up from scratch, but they same behaviour persists. Given that it's two units with exactly the same behaviour, I don't think it's an hardware issue.

My current settings are very close to factory settings. I took down the signal strength on 2.4ghz network a bit (to try to get the nodes to connect on 5ghz instead), no guest network, no QoS settings. SmartConnect is on. All on latest firmware ( 3.0.0.4.386_25790 for Xt8s and 3.0.0.4.386_41535 for the XD4s)

Any help available to try to get them more stable? I can't run cables to where they are unfortunately, otherwise that would have been the obvious solution...

Hi All,

Long time lurker but first time poster here. I just upgraded my triband Velops to a combo of 2 XT8's and 3 XD4s. I live in a large apartment with very thick concrete walls, and it's very congested on all wifi bands. I upgraded so i could get much more control over my network compared to the velops which offered little or no customization option. Wifi 6 was an added benefit.

My internet is 1gb fibre to the home. The fibre modem is connected to one of the XT8s, and the second XT8 and one of the XD4s are all connected through ethernet to the main router, and they all work perfectly. However i also have two wireless XD4s which connect to the wired XT8's, and those are showing some very odd behaviour.

In short, setup worked fine, and they sometimes show up with solid connections to the XT8s. At the moment both are connected on 5ghz backhaul and -38dbm (line of sight) and -60dbm (through one wall) signals, so they should be solid and stable. However, after a while they switch to 2.4ghz network, and usually within an hour or so they start blinking blue and disappear from the mesh. I have reset both units and set them up from scratch, but they same behaviour persists. Given that it's two units with exactly the same behaviour, I don't think it's an hardware issue.

My current settings are very close to factory settings. I took down the signal strength on 2.4ghz network a bit (to try to get the nodes to connect on 5ghz instead), no guest network, no QoS settings. SmartConnect is on. All on latest firmware ( 3.0.0.4.386_25790 for Xt8s and 3.0.0.4.386_41535 for the XD4s)

Any help available to try to get them more stable? I can't run cables to where they are unfortunately, otherwise that would have been the obvious solution...

you posted in wrong forum

Update - i was in contact with ASUS support and after a full reset of all routers, and set up from scratch, using the web interface rather than the app, it all seems to be stable so far (18 hours post reset...)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!