What's new

XT8 - AX Laptop slow speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freemoso

New Around Here
Evening All

Newbie(go easy on me) :)

Got FTTP 1GB, upgraded my Mesh network to a pair of XT8's, got them connected using Cat6 hardwired.

I am seeing really good speeds on various devices, iphone 11 and 2016 Macbook Pro - 560MB DL/110UL
Hardwired connections into the back of router or the node i am getting similar speeds

I have 1 device, Dell XPS 17 with an Killer 1650 AX Card in it, i am seeing terrible speeds, 150MB DL maximum and i habve no idea why, when i hardwire the laptop in up to 650MB

I have tried all sorts on the laptop updated Drivers/Bios etc.
On the Asus Kit i have tried individual SSID's, gone back to Tri Band Smart connect now(When on Dual Band Smart Connect and Wifi Backhaul the max speeds drop to 350MB) as i saw no benefit in speeds when switching to 3x SSIDs

Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Andy

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @freemoso.

Fully uninstall the 'Killer' software and drivers, reboot and then install the Intel drivers instead.

My partner has an XPS13 with same nic, Killer AX1650w and I haven't seen any speed issues, pretty consistently in 750-900+ range using the Windows 10 Ookla Speedtest app.

Our network is setup as AX/WiFi6 with WPA2/3 on 5GHz-1 and AX only, WPA3 on 5GHz-2 backhaul
Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095

Computer info from wireless properties:
Protocol: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Security type: WPA3-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 36
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 1201/1081 (Mbps)
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650w 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200D2W)
Driver version: 22.10.0.7

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @freemoso.

Fully uninstall the 'Killer' software and drivers, reboot and then install the Intel drivers instead.
Thanks very much, i have done that and am seeing much better speeds

@robgbc my "better speeds" are still only 450MB on Ookla when 2m away from the router node.
I am guessing i need to come off the Smart Connect and separate out my SSIDs if i want to see the true performance of this router, as using the Ookla test on the router i am seeing consistent tests of over 850MB DL>

Would you mind sharing(anonomised of course) screengrabs your Wifi config pages for each Band?

Thanks very much, i have done that and am seeing much better speeds

@robgbc my "better speeds" are still only 450MB on Ookla when 2m away from the router node.
I am guessing i need to come off the Smart Connect and separate out my SSIDs if i want to see the true performance of this router, as using the Ookla test on the router i am seeing consistent tests of over 850MB DL>

This is off my Laptop
Protocol: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 100
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 1201/961 (Mbps)
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650w 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200D2W)
Driver version: 22.30.0.11

Would you mind sharing(anonomised of course) screengrabs your Wifi config pages for each Band?

Here is the current setup. I am using smart connect and slowly working through the pro settings to find what works best for our home

Smart connect 2.4/5-1
2.4.5.1sc.jpg

5-2
5.2.jpg

WiFi Pro 5-1
5.1pro.jpg

WiFi Pro 5-2
5.2pro.jpg

Speedtest results on the XPS13, a mix of tests around 3m from the router and/or node, with low active utilization (no AV streaming or backups) on the network. Our node is in my partner's office (work from home) and has a strong connection to the router so the results are quite good via either device

image.png

Router speed test
sp.jpg

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!