What's new

XT8 Client List

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chippy_boy

Regular Contributor
This seems buggy as hell to me, and I just wondered if others experience the same?

For example,
  • I have Sky Q mini boxes connected over ethernet to separate XT8 nodes, shown as connected to the same node. i.e. wrong.
  • I have devices connected over wifi which are in fact over ethernet
  • Some devices show static IP addresses when they are dynamic
  • I have a wireless bridge which shows up as being connected over ethernet, when of course it is over wifi
It's the same with the Asus app btw - that too displays the same wrong data. There's other glitches but these are the main ones. It's all over the place tbh.

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it.", "There's no free lunch", "If it works, don't fix it." and in Sweden we say: "Don't wake the bear that's sleeping."

I've not been getting out a lot lately... :)

However, having spent a week on things like this, with my 2-pack XT8 (which is now working very nicely) :)

" a wireless bridge which shows up as being connected over ethernet."
The wireless bridge pretends to be connected via Ethernet kabel, so perhaps it is lying to Asus - totally possible!

"I have devices connected over wifi which are in fact over ethernet"
See above. Of course, we don't know exactly how things are at your place...

"Some devices show static IP addresses when they are dynamic"
Under "LAN", "DHCP Server" I made the a ""Manually Assigned IP" to my printers. Right now, my XT8 is calling it "Manuell", but last time, it was called "Static." It is still assigned by the DHCP Server, just according to my instructions instead of being random... As long as it works....

"I have Sky Q mini boxes connected over ethernet to separate XT8 nodes, shown as connected to the same node. i.e. wrong."
Fascinating. Do they work?
I should be ashamed to say this, but: "If its stupid and it works, it ain't stupid." So sorry that I could not resist writing that. ;-)

Friend, If things need fixing, I would strongly suggest that you first check that you have the latest stable firmware. Right now, for me, that is: 3.0.0.4.386_41793

Then, IMHO, after installing the latest firmware, reset and reboot, then do a clean installation like when you first got it out of the box, according to the makers instructions, although I do prefer TP cables and the web-based installation over the handy dandy app. A clean and minimal configuration by hand - not reload a configuration file :-(

Please, hold of on the VPN, DDNS AiProtection and all those other good things until you see that it is working for all you TP Ethernet and Wi-Fi connections!

I know, it takes time - about 15 minutes, maybe a little more, but easier than faffing about with a wonky platform.

After that, under "System Log", you will see... the system log. Check it out for weird and nasty entries, and post it here :)

GL, looking forward to hearing how it goes.

"a wireless bridge which shows up as being connected over ethernet.". Yes this is that way for years. I also have a DLink bridge to connect a Nas, a printer, etc. to wifi, and for Asus they are wired. I say "for years" because in my old N55U-D1 happened too. Not solved in my XT8.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!