What's new

[XT8] Constant USB reset using xhci-hcd, any thoughts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stebrick

Regular Contributor
XT8 running on 386.07_2-gnuton1
WD 4TB My Passport Ultra Metal Edition (Silver), partitioned with 2GB linux swap.

Every minutes I'm getting this error all over in the logs:
Code:
kernel: usb 2-1: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd

Switching to USB 2.0 mode doesn't change anything. Apart from this log entry the hard drive seems to work well so far. Diversion installed. But it's bugging and worrying me. Any thoughts why this is happening? :(

So it appears that the problems are more serious than I thought. Similar error entries below always appear upon mounting the disk.

Code:
Aug 21 21:16:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
Aug 21 21:16:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
Aug 21 21:16:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: Invalid command operation code
Aug 21 21:16:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] CDB: Write same(16) 93 08 00 00 00 00 00 40 41 08 00 00 10 00 00 00
Aug 21 21:16:21 kernel: blk_update_request: critical target error, dev sda, sector 4210952

Some other problems (probably related) to troubleshoot :-

1. The result of Disk Check from amtm is clean.

2. The Web UI below the USB disk name is always blank (see screenshot below).

Network-Map.png

3. I cant access Asus AiCloud despite all necessary settings had been turned on. Restoring to factory default a few times doesn't help. It seems to me the router has trouble to mount the disk for AiCloud.

4. Deleted all partitions, re-partitioned and re-formated the entire drive doesn't help. Since my disk's larger than 2TB, I mostly followed this guide. What I did is re-created the 2 partitions (Linux Swap, and EXT4), and formatted them (all via Mini Partition Tool).

Then plug the disk back in router and use
Code:
mke2fs -t ext4 -O has_journal /dev/sda2
to format the ext4 partition again. Oddly though, this process finished superfast when it was (as I was told) supposed to be most resources-intensed task. It writes the inode tables super fast, which I remember should take most of the time.

Is my drive partly toasted or what?

That seems to be a common error with WD Passport drives. My guess is the same as I said in post #2, that the drive is going into some sort of standby mode that is incompatible with the router. You might want to check that Enable HDD Hibernation (Administration - System) is set to No.

That seems to be a common error with WD Passport drives. My guess is the same as I said in post #2, that the drive is going into some sort of standby mode that is incompatible with the router. You might want to check that Enable HDD Hibernation (Administration - System) is set to No.

Yes, that hibernation option is already on by default. Thanks for trying to help :)

So it appears that the problems are more serious than I thought. Similar error entries below always appear upon mounting the disk.

Code:
Aug 21 21:16:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
Aug 21 21:16:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
Aug 21 21:16:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: Invalid command operation code
Aug 21 21:16:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] CDB: Write same(16) 93 08 00 00 00 00 00 40 41 08 00 00 10 00 00 00
Aug 21 21:16:21 kernel: blk_update_request: critical target error, dev sda, sector 4210952

Some other problems (probably related) to troubleshoot :-

1. The result of Disk Check from amtm is clean.

2. The Web UI below the USB disk name is always blank (see screenshot below).

View attachment 43719

3. I cant access Asus AiCloud despite all necessary settings had been turned on. Restoring to factory default a few times doesn't help. It seems to me the router has trouble to mount the disk for AiCloud.

4. Deleted all partitions, re-partitioned and re-formated the entire drive doesn't help. Since my disk's larger than 2TB, I mostly followed this guide. What I did is re-created the 2 partitions (Linux Swap, and EXT4), and formatted them (all via Mini Partition Tool).

Then plug the disk back in router and use
Code:
mke2fs -t ext4 -O has_journal /dev/sda2
to format the ext4 partition again. Oddly though, this process finished superfast when it was (as I was told) supposed to be most resources-intensed task. It writes the inode tables super fast, which I remember should take most of the time.

Is my drive partly toasted or what?

So, it turns out the AiCloud issue is firmware-related. Flashing back to previous version solved it. Yet those sda errors and constant USB reset still remain.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!