What's new

XT8: no 2.5 GBit in Lan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfrensch

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I use 5 XT8 with Ethernet backhaul. All nodes are connected to fast (2.5 Gb/s - 10 GB/s) switches via WAN port, which is able to handle 2.5 GB/s. Nevertheless, only 1 GB backhaul is displayed and the speed does not seem to be higher. Is this also the case for you and why?

Cheers

It is normal... XT8 doesn't have 2.5Gb LAN ports (but only the WAN)... and the ethernet backhaul start from a LAN port of the main router (max 1Gb)!

No, you did not read exactly. ALL Nodes are connected via Ethernet over the WAN-Port. Each cable terminate at the WAN-Port. And I have a dedicated Ethernet-Backhaul. But the WAN-Ports only have 1 Gb. So I think, the is not normal.

Not all >1GbE ports are compatible with other >1GbE ports from other manufacturers and/or products.

Have you tried different cables? I suggest a quality pre-terminated Cat5e cable of 100' or less to test (for this) with.

What switches are you using? Are there any firmware upgrades for them? Have you configured them at all? Maybe try resetting them to defaults. Have you tested them to work with any other equipment at the speeds you expect?

What other specific network settings, topology, and optional features make your network unique? A good description and/or diagram may help here.

No, you did not read exactly. ALL Nodes are connected via Ethernet over the WAN-Port. Each cable terminate at the WAN-Port. And I have a dedicated Ethernet-Backhaul. But the WAN-Ports only have 1 Gb. So I think, the is not normal.
ok, all nodes are connected to 2,5Gb WAN port in input.... but the OUTPUT source (that goes in the nodes) what is?! See my scheme... if the router is a XT8, the LAN has 1Gb ports...

Attachments

• scan0070.png
    scan0070.png
    294.1 KB · Views: 400
Whats the problem to understand?
Switches are connected with cat7 or Fiber (Cisco XGS1250-12 and XGS1010-12 and QNAP QSW-1105-5T, each switch in another floor) and one cat7 cable goes to each WAN-Port of each node. The Main XT8 is connected to a switch, Node 1 is connected to a switch at WAN-Port, Node 2 is connected to a switch at a WAN-Port and so on.
All components are complety new.

Whats the problem to understand?
Switches are connected with cat7 or Fiber (Cisco XGS1250-12 and XGS1010-12 and QNAP QSW-1105-5T, each switch in another floor) and one cat7 cable goes to each WAN-Port of each node. The Main XT8 is connected to a switch, Node 1 is connected to a switch at WAN-Port, Node 2 is connected to a switch at a WAN-Port and so on.
All components are complety new.
See the bold part... Can you tell us which port of the router the switch is connected to?!?!?!
Can you post a photo/diagram?!

OMG. The WAN-Port ist connected to the switch…. I told you 3-times!!!!! I wrote EACH XT8 is connected via WAN-Port to a switch. Why du you need a diagram? But… if this is the only way… i send a diagram in the next post.

Here is a diagram of my topology. Each ethernet-cable connects to the WAN Port of EACH XT8! Some components does not exist anymore (DX4, see other thread).

Attachments

• Blank Diagram.pdf
    488.2 KB · Views: 424
Have you confirmed that the physical link to each switch port is operating at 2.5G? For example on the XGS1010-12 that means using port 9 or 10 (or 9, 10 or 11 on the XGS1250-12) and the LED indicator being "Sky Blue". On the QSW-1105-5T the LED should be green not amber.

Last edited:
Yes, i have. And yes i know, what the colors stand for. Other devices got full speed.
So if all the physical links are confirmed as 2.5G then it would suggest that the information in the router's GUI is false.

It would be quite difficult to test the throughput using wired connections because all the other XT8 ports are 1Gb. I suppose you could connect two PCs to one XT8 running iperf servers and another two PCs to a different XT8 running iperf clients and see the aggregate throughput.

You could try using a wireless client but only the 5GHz-2 radio supports more than 2 streams and you'd have to be using 160MHz bandwidth to get much more than 1Gb throughput.

Tim reviewed the XT8 here. Unfortunately his standard test only connected at 1201 Mb but even so managed throughput of 961 Mbps at close range. So that looks quite promising if you've got a client that can connect at higher rate.

Tim reviewed the XT8 here. Unfortunately his standard test only connected at 1201 Mb but even so managed throughput of 961 Mbps at close range. So that looks quite promising if you've got a client that can connect at higher rate.
If you look at the Multiband test results, switching to the Total view,you see the total for 2.4 and 5 GHz STAs is > 1396 Mbps. So the 2.5 GbE port works. This is also confirmed by the UI on the QNAP switch.

What does this have to do with my problem? The 2.5 GB Port seems not to work when in Ethernet backhaul.
I'm trying to address whether the 2.5 GbE port works at all at the advertised speed.

It seems no one has answers for you and you are getting frustrated. So I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!