What's new

XT8 node disconnects, can't re-add to AIMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LastingDamage

New Around Here
Hi, first post in SNB but a long-time reader.
I have an AIMesh setup with three XT8 units, one set as main router and two as nodes, with wireless backhaul. This configuration has worked ok for about a year. However, since there was still some areas of our large, old stone house, I recently pulled wires between the floors and changed the location of the nodes. The same unit was kept as router, but switched location.
Since then, one node has consistently been acting strangely (the other node is rock steady). It keeps on disconnecting/going offline, and I've had to do a factory reset (WPS button hold) and re-add it to the mesh.
After a power outage this morning, I am unable to re-add this unit. Briefly I got it added, but within minutes the unit went offline (this is connected via ethernet). Now, I can't even get that. I do a factory reset, it shows up in the Asus router GUI, I can initialize Add node, but it then gives me an error message that the node can't be added.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting/solving this?
I'm running the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45934.

And yet, this is important! Correct method for resetting a node XT8!

Last edited:
Hi,

I get the same thing when trying some setup, wired backhault too. At the end the correct hard reset (see Kapet above post) with all units in the same room W/O the wired backhaul made it right. So just like the first setup, reset and pairing with the phone w/o any wired backhaul. Once done, I put back all units in place and reconfigured the wired only backhaul and it works since like a charm

And yet, this is important! Correct method for resetting a node XT8!
Thank you for your replies. I have followed the correct procedure, and from time to time it is able to re-add (using wired backhaul). However, it just disconnected again. This time following a power outage. I'll try your suggestions, but it seems very unstable if it doesn't reconnect when wired just because the power is cut.

You can reset node and use it separately as AP - connect it with wire and create separate WiFi network for test to see if node is stable, because it is perhaps just broken and ready for RMA.
I also just noticed with XT8 today when I reset nodes that node from package of two cannot be added manually to the network, and it adds itself automatically (I have XT8 with manufacturing year 2021).

You can reset node and use it separately as AP - connect it with wire and create separate WiFi network for test to see if node is stable, because it is perhaps just broken and ready for RMA.
I also just noticed with XT8 today when I reset nodes that node from package of two cannot be added manually to the network, and it adds itself automatically (I have XT8 with manufacturing year 2021).

Interesting. Rarely, after a reboot, the ZenWiFi router has come up without having added the node automatically. I've been able to reset the node, and manually add it using the AiMesh search, no problem.

Got this one in January of 2021 with mfg. year 2020, if that's relevant.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!