What's new

XT8 normal behavior?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TroelsL

New Around Here
I've just bought a pair of XT8s to go with my 1000/1000 MB internet connection.

The XT8 node has 'great' signal strength to the 'XT8 router' via wireless(5GHz) backhaul. I'll get 430/250 MB wireless wifi on my S22 phone from the node, which I'm pleased with.

However, watching the World cup final just now, the TV (wifi5/802.11ac) lagged even though the Node is placed just 30 cm (1 ft) from the TV.

Cheking the download connection to the TV, it looked like the tv had dropouts: only internet for 1 second, then 1 second of 0 Mbps, then 1 second with connection and so on. (see attached screenshots). Earlier the day I experienced the same 'dropouts' when streaming radio on smart loudspeakers. Is this normal?

What should I change to get stabel connection to my streaming devices?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218_175634_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_175634_ASUS Router.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20221218_175734_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_175734_ASUS Router.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20221218_175743_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_175743_ASUS Router.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20221218_175810_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_175810_ASUS Router.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20221218_175815_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_175815_ASUS Router.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 46
lagged even though the Node is placed just 30 cm (1 ft) from the TV

Why is this TV connected to 2.4GHz band when 3ft Ethernet cable is like $2 or less and the TV is 1ft away from a node with Ethernet ports available?

Why is this TV connected to 2.4GHz band when 3ft Ethernet cable is like $2 or less and the TV is 1ft away from a node with Ethernet ports available?
Because it just got the XT8s yesterday, so I haven't got the time to connect with wires yet. We are still looking for the best spot for the node before wiring up.
Although wireless connection should be more than enough for TV?
I do not know why the TV is in 2.4 GHz, the router is set to 'smart control' and the tv have 802.11ac. This is odd to me.

I would disable Smart Connect for better control over where the devices connect and use 2x separate SSIDs instead. Smart Connect is not that Smart in moving devices around and may create disconnections in time sensitive applications like streaming and voice/video calls. You have to experiment what works best for you. I would return this set and purchase AX86U for main router + AX86S for node. Both are more stable, run the same firmware and have the same radios. Much more capable hardware as well. XT8 has a history of firmware stability issues and is overpriced for what it is.

one does not connect to 2.4Ghz & then compain about slow performance...5Ghz-band1 and test again

Client 1ft from node is actually too close. Your problems might stem from the wifi signal being too "hot" for the client. As @Tech9 said, you really ought to be using an ethernet cable at that distance, especially for a fairly immobile client like a TV. But until you lay your hands on a cable, maybe moving the node further away would help.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll connect to TV through wire.

However, I still experience 'dropouts' on radio streaming with smart speakers via google cast. The speakers are 3-10 m (10-30 ft) away from nearest router/node, some of the speakers are behind a wall/floor. The speakers are also Smart Connect-ed, but I did see the same dropouts with all speakers, some are connected to 2.4GHz and some to 5GHz. It this dropout behavior normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218_175743_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_175743_ASUS Router.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 44
I've just bought a pair of XT8s to go with my 1000/1000 MB internet connection.

Congratulations! I've been thoroughly enjoying a pair of XT8s for right at 5 months now. Can't recall any hiccups that weren't self-induced by "playing with" the system.

However ... the TV ... lagged ...

Cheking the download connection to the TV, it looked like the tv had dropouts: only internet for 1 second, then 1 second of 0 Mbps, then 1 second with connection and so on. (see attached screenshots). Earlier the day I experienced the same 'dropouts' when streaming radio on smart loudspeakers. Is this normal?

Your graphs map data flow, not connection status, and are indicative of typical digital content "streaming." (Such data usually travels in a fashion similar to that of an inchworm.)

Did you actually experience audio / video "stutters" or were you merely concerned by what you saw in the app?

I do not know why the TV is in 2.4 GHz, the router is set to 'smart control' and the tv have 802.11ac. This is odd to me.

Get to the TV's networking menu and make it reconnect. It may then choose the higher-frequency radio. Even if it stays on 2.4 I wouldn't worry about it. Should be plenty of bandwidth there for the task at hand.

"Smart Connect" works fine from what I've seen, though I've recently disabled it and opted instead for enabling "Agile Multiband" (standards-based mechanism) as a test.

I would return this set and purchase AX86U for main router + AX86S for node. Both are more stable, run the same firmware and have the same radios. Much more capable hardware as well. XT8 has a history of firmware stability issues and is overpriced for what it is.

Been lurking for some time and get a kick out of your online demeanor. Can't say I agree with you in this instance. Can't disagree either, though, having never used the AX86x gear and guessing you're in the same boat regarding the XT8s. All I can say authoritatively is that for $350 (at that price again at Amazon just now) I got two full-function and capable-enough tri-band routers which can be placed wherever with no objections from mama.

Your graphs map data flow, not connection status, and are indicative of typical digital content "streaming." (Such data usually travels in a fashion similar to that of an inchworm.)

Did you actually experience audio / video "stutters" or were you merely concerned by what you saw in the app?
Thank you! I did not know streaming is using an inchworm pattern. Unfortunately there were many visible video "stutters".
(Also the radio program stuttered, but there is a small chance the problem is with the broadcaster. Awhile ago they said that the broadcasting equipment stutters, and their IT-supplier is trying to fix it.)

Get to the TV's networking menu and make it reconnect. It may then choose the higher-frequency radio. Even if it stays on 2.4 I wouldn't worry about it. Should be plenty of bandwidth there for the task at hand.
I tried using the Asus app to 'optimize' the connection, tried turning the TV completely off, and also tried turning the TVs wifi off/on and reconnecting the TV to my network. It stayed on 2.4GHz and the video stutter continued. Both if the node is too close as propose by others, then that might be the reason for the issue.

"Smart Connect" works fine from what I've seen, though I've recently disabled it and opted instead for enabling "Agile Multiband" (standards-based mechanism) as a test.
Except for smartphones and laptops, all my internet devices are stationary. So maybe I do not need "smart connect"? I remember Google Cast used to require all devices to be on the same network, but maybe that is not the case anymore?
The only reason I hesitate to try to disable "smart connect" and activate "Agile Multiband", is it takes a long time to reconnect all the smart devices to the new SSID.

I remember Google Cast used to require all devices to be on the same network, but maybe that is not the case anymore?
Regardless which radio or same/different SSIDs they may have, any two devices will be "on the (your) same network."
it takes a long time to reconnect all the smart devices to the new SSID
My main unit has been up for two months, through many such type changes. The only thing that'll happen in this case is the radio(s) will go offline for a moment and everything always reconnects right back in my setup. (No change to the SSID proper or credentials.)

Naturally, if ethernet is readily available then it would be preferred over wifi.

I'm unknowledgeable about the exact distinction between "Smart Connect" and "WIFI Agile Multiband." I believe the latter is a certifiable standard and the former is something Asus had come up with. There must be something different else why the two offerings (which may work well together or not)? I've not noted any problems with either method yet.

The client always decides what to do in the end anyway. These mechanisms evidently serve the purpose of providing information which a capable client can use to act wisely.

I tried using the Asus app to 'optimize' the connection, tried turning the TV completely off, and also tried turning the TVs wifi off/on and reconnecting the TV to my network.
Forgot to address that part.

Apart maybe from unplugging the TV for sufficient time, turning its radio off/on will be the "surefirest" method (so long as both bands have the same SSID and key). In my experience 'optimize' will not result in a (desired) disconnection event.

guessing you're in the same boat regarding the XT8s

No. I use completely different non-Asus Wi-Fi equipment. If you follow XT8 firmware release threads though you'll see AiMesh connectivity issues are common and folks upgrade/downgrade all the time in an effort to make their XT8 sets more stable. Why we need to learn from own mistakes all the time? I also know what's inside of RT-AX95Q routers (XT8) and the hardware is much weaker than AX86-series especially if you want to run on-router VPN.

routers which can be placed wherever with no objections from mama.

This is a valid point and I have purchased XT8 single unit for a friend for exactly the same reason. Single unit has no AiMesh issues on any firmware.

SIDEBAR
If you follow XT8 firmware release threads though...
Had I followed such threads beforehand, with insufficient salting to taste, nor by-pure-gut-ly disregarded e.g. Dong's in-review admonishments I surely would not have gone the route I did. To be fair, there are certainly no small number of equivalent issues on any number of different (even flagship) models being reported here lately.

The package I got was ever intended to be used wired-backhaul with the two 5 GHz subsystems used together for snappier client-to-client interaction. Icing on the cake is the option to go "wireless mesh" wirelessly if necessary, or even just having a backup router ready to go but not just collecting dust somewhere in the mean time.

Would be nice to connect 2400 on both 5 GHz radios like possible on the XT8PRO (try "strings FW_ZENWIFI_XT9_300438820027.pkgtb | grep 'MODEL.*\(XT\|Q\)' ") but not at 25% greater cost to do so. Besides (you'll get a kick out of this, I'm sure), the SOC in the XT9 is for "residential" purpose and that in the XT8 (V1?) is for "enterprise" purpose, hahaha!

The package I got was ever intended to be used wired-backhaul

Wired backhaul option changes the game completely. It eliminates most of wireless AiMesh issues not only with XT8, but with any wireless AiMesh.

for "enterprise" purpose, hahaha!

Yes, I was thinking about replacing my business APs with 4x XT8 2-pack in AiMesh. What stopped me was 2x units only available at my local store. ;)

Now I know... Apparently the wifi network card in the TV is fast (802.11ac) however it can only see a four(!) of the 5Ghz channels. The last 15+ channels is unknown to the tv. I think it is a very strange way to cut costs, and also completely unknown to the user. According to an online forum post, the network card is apparently only 100 Mbps through wire, but 700 Mbps via 5Ghz wifi.

Using manual 5Ghz channel selection, the TV is finally connected with 5Ghz.

Is there any advantage to choosing channel on the these channel: 36, 40, 44 or 48?
(All of them are already used by 3 access points in our area, luckily our signal strength is by far the strongest.)

Our routers' 5-1 only knows those four channels too, at least mine do, so there shouldn't be an issue in that regard.

The XT9's 5-1 evidently will do DFS and grab the next four channels too. Even though I could do that well in my locale it's not worth another hundred bucks, minimum, to me. In any event that model hadn't gone live when I bought in.

If you find a need for more functionality, give Gnuton's Merlin a whirl.

The channels past 48 are "DFS" channels which have a whole lot of additional regulatory requirements; plus they're inherently less reliable since wifi gear is required to yield the channel if it detects radar activity there. Doesn't surprise me that the TV manufacturer didn't want to get involved with that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!