What's new

XT8 slow or no switching to node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grayson73

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way to get the XT8 to switch a device to the node faster? For example, when I go to the floor with the node, my phone stays connected to the router which is in the basement. I can manually turn off wife and turn it back on to get it to connect to the node.

It is easy to turn off a wife. :)

But the client is in control of where and when it switches to a different node or not.

The notes from @OzarkEdge may help if your router has similar settings.

OzarkEdge AiMesh Notes

Is there a way to get the XT8 to switch a device to the node faster? For example, when I go to the floor with the node, my phone stays connected to the router which is in the basement. I can manually turn off wife and turn it back on to get it to connect to the node.

To encourage wireless clients to roam sooner, raise (less negative) the band Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold. This becomes more necessary when the nodes are not far enough apart... like 40-60 feet or the length of an average house.

OE

To encourage wireless clients to roam sooner, raise (less negative) the band Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold. This becomes more necessary when the nodes are not far enough apart... like 40-60 feet or the length of an average house.

OE
Thanks. I set it to -40 and will test.

I think -40 is a little too much. Is it helping or hurting the networking experience for you?

Did I go the wrong direction? When I went to my bedroom, the signal was weak (-85 dbm) and no switching to the node.

How long did you stay in the bedroom? Did it ever switch on its own?

If not, then the client is the issue.

Try:

Rebooting/restarting it (do not just shut down and power up).

Test using a new SSID.

Reset the network on that device, reboot the device, and re-associate it again. Then, test again.

It doesn't seem to be following the rules. My cell phone is -67 dBm and it stays connected to the node even though I set it to disconnect at -55 dBm.

I followed one of the posts and changed a bunch of settings, including turning of smart connect and creating separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Seems to be better now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!