What's new

XT8: Why are different firmware versions suggested for router vs. node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mikester

New Around Here
I have 2 XT8 units, hardware version 1. One is functioning as the router, the 2nd as a node. Both are running firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49873. When I check for updated firmware, either through the web interface or via the Asus app, it recommends the latest firmware for the router, but an older version for the node (3.0.0.4.388_22068 for the router and 3.0.0.4.388_21099 for the node). This situation has never occurred before.

Any ideas why this would be?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-01 112325.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-01 112325.png
    250.7 KB · Views: 152
Interesting... What do you get after the upgrades?

Both are running firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49873

Read the multiple threads about 388 firmware on XT8 first. Some folks had issues and needed to revert to 386 firmware. Happy New Year!

On 386 -> 388 firmware change I strongly recommend reset both routers to factory defaults and a fresh start with manual configuration.

Last edited:
Still puzzled as to why different firmwares are being recommended for the router and node. They were purchased as a 2 pack, both hardware version 1.

Not a big issue, minor error. Click on Check again a little later. Asus had some servers maintenance around holidays. I couldn't download firmware files and even open specs pages. One of the pages was redirecting to a message about servers maintenance all the time. Perhaps related.

Odd, I always keep the same version of firmware on the router and the node. Since they communicate with each other a lot, makes sense to me to do that. It should work with different versions as long as they're compatible, but makes sense to me that they should both have the same version. I usually do my firmware upgrades "manually" anyways, but interesting.

It seems like suggesting different versions for different nodes is not a random occurrence.

Now they are suggesting me to upgrade repeater node to 21101. Which used to be a beta release?

AiMesh router
ZenWiFi AXCurrent Version : 3.0.0.4.388_22068-gf3adbcd
Manual firmware update : Upload
The latest version : The router's current firmware is the latest version.
AiMesh Node
ZenWiFi AX ( 01:23:45:67:89:01 )
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.388_21099-g90a450c
Manual firmware update : Upload
The latest version : 9.0.0.4.388_21101-g90a450c

Wonder how 21099 is different from 21101 - they refer to the same GIT hash.
Probably just sloppy handling of distribution channel metadata.
What a mess!

I have 2 XT8 units, hardware version 1. One is functioning as the router, the 2nd as a node. Both are running firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49873. When I check for updated firmware, either through the web interface or via the Asus app, it recommends the latest firmware for the router, but an older version for the node (3.0.0.4.388_22068 for the router and 3.0.0.4.388_21099 for the node). This situation has never occurred before.

Any ideas why this would be?
Maybe the built in updater through the router's interface or the app is only checking the firmware for the main router. Just upgrade both manually, there is no reason the main router's firmware would be different than the node.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!