What's new

XT9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daaavvvvveeee

New Around Here
Just taken the plunge on the XT9 after horrible issues with the XT8 a couple of years ago.

Upgraded from a 4 year old Orbi, which has been flawless.

Had a couple of issues after 1 day with the XT9. Slow speeds etc. Got latest firmware. Did a full factory reset, been stable for a couple of days now.

Anyone else had any longer term experience of the XT9?

ZenWiFi XT9 is slightly upgraded hardware XT8. If you had horrible issues with XT8 - good luck with XT9.

I take it they haven't?

I don't know. See how it goes and share the experience. XT9 is not one of the popular models around. It's underpowered hardware, overpriced because of the looks and with no Asuswrt-Merlin support. The hardware inside is similar to entry-level RT-AX58U V2 with an extra radio.

I thought the price was alright against the competition like Orbi.

The XT12 was almost £300 more too.

I've got 900Mbps being installed tomorrow so will see how it performs, if not I'll RMA it and go for something else like the XT12 if I can get it at the right price. I've got an Orbi 852 on loan from a friend to try out too.

I'll keep you posted

I thought the price was alright against the competition like Orbi.

The XT12 was almost £300 more too.

I've got 900Mbps being installed tomorrow so will see how it performs, if not I'll RMA it and go for something else like the XT12 if I can get it at the right price. I've got an Orbi 852 on loan from a friend to try out too.

I'll keep you posted
How are your xt9s working? I have first version of xt8 and have had many issues, but one of the few with USB port that I need.
I am considering xt9 but just starting research.

Yes, you can. But don't.

Even if you bought an identical replacement router, you shouldn't do that if you want the network to be stable, performant, and reliable/dependable too.

Yes, you can. But don't.

Even if you bought an identical replacement router, you shouldn't do that if you want the network to be stable, performant, and reliable/dependable too.
Curious what leads you to that conclusion. I have about 60 manual DHCP settings because I have an upstream firewall that controls what things can/can’t do and it’s a pain to add each one as one by one model.

Facts.

See RMerlin's response to your question (use Better Search).

Or don’t use Better Search

Attachments

• IMG_0087.png
    IMG_0087.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 157
Pick the forum you want to search in.

Does anyone know if you can upload the settings.cfg from an XT8 to an XT9?

You can transfer all standard settings like user/pass, SSID/pass, Wireless professional, WAN type, LAN settings, LAN DHCP reservations, custom usernames, etc. What you may have issues with is VPN configurations and DDNS, but even they work after transfer. If you know what are you doing and how to check functionality after - you will be fine. The reset option is always there if something goes wrong. DHCP reservations you can transfer in SSH as well*. I have proven few times already that "works only on the same firmware and router" is equally wrong as "universal Asus restoration". It's not universal and not guaranteed, but with some experience you'll know what works and what doesn't. This forum cures everything with reboot and reset.

* - with 60 you may hit the string length limit

From the old router:
Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

The result is simething like this:
<D4:C9:EF:D4:EF:0E>192.168.50.12>><24:05:0F:9E:76:54>192.168.50.14>>

On the new router:
Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="the result above"
nvram commit

You have to enable the Manual Assignment on the new router, of course.

Last edited:
Or don’t use Better Search

Don't use Better Search. It's not better. Use Google instead:

Code:
transfer settings site:snbforums.com

My previous experiments on the first page:

I figured I would share with everybody that I did take an XT8 config and dropped it on the XT9 with absolutely no issues. I know the suggestion was not to do this, but I also liked one person’s comment that I could factory reset it quickly and easily if things didn’t work right. I am at two days with no issues, so I’ll keep monitoring but so far so good. I was running the same firmware version numbers but I do understand they’re technically different packages.

I told you it works between similar close models.
Yep, you were one of the main reasons I choose that path. Several others advised against it, but I think I saved about 2-3 hours of “config time” by loading XT8 config.
Then I just reset the XT8’s and made them aimesh nodes. All good!

GenericIT, so far have the XT9's been stable for you? Want to pull the trigger and buy but concerned about stability, spontaneous reboots? I am having them shipped abroad so don't have the option of returning them.

GenericIT, so far have the XT9's been stable for you? Want to pull the trigger and buy but concerned about stability, spontaneous reboots? I am having them shipped abroad so don't have the option of returning them.
I have been away from home most of June, so not much data to confirm, but the few days I was home it seemed ok still.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!