What's new

xt_mac.ko missing - can it be added?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

opie

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm trying to implement the ability to limit outbound routing of clients to only a select limited group of MAC addresses (~150 and counting). This is too large for the wireless mac filter.

I am building on the work done by a coworker for another location and it is working for him (Kong's DD-WRT build 31135M) He gave me a script which loads a list of mac-addresses and then builds an iptables chain to allow these specific ones in while denying all others. I'd rather stay on Merlin if possible. I appreciate that Kong is running Kernel Version: Linux 4.4.42.

I need the kernel module: xt_mac.ko to implement mac address filtering in iptables. While the source files appear on your github I can't find xt_mac.ko on the router.

Is this just a matter of setting up this module for export in the builds?
Is there a manual way to build and install it?

The below script is what I am trying to run in the .wanup script. It fails as follows:
insmod: can't insert 'xt_mac.ko': No such file or directory

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Opie

#start fresh

##Install the mac address filter module
insmod xt_mac

## zero counters, Flush rules and Delete extra chains
iptables -Z;
iptables -F;
iptables -X;

## Setup wanout CHAIN as FORWARD
iptables -N wanout
iptables -I FORWARD -i `nvram get lan_ifname` -j wanout

iptables -A wanout -m mac --mac-source XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -j ACCEPT #my laptop

## Load Accepted clients from the maclist_file into the wanout chain
for MAC in `cat /jffs/etc/config/maclist_file`; do
iptables -A wanout -m mac --mac-source $MAC -j ACCEPT
done

## Drop everything else
iptables -A wanout -i `nvram get lan_ifname` -j DROP

You can't find the .ko module since it"s built as part of the base kernel. Just delete that line.

BUT, that's a really bad script. By flushing iptables you kill the router firewall and a lot of the router functions