What's new

YAMon2 On ASUSWRT-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

William Clark

New Around Here
Hello

I want to setup YAMon2 on my Netgear router (running Merlin's Firmware), but unfortunately I can't make it work.
I should SFTP into the Router but when I enter the user "root" the router's password is wrong.
When I enter my Router's username "e.g. admin" it won't login at all.
I have enabled SSH and FTP too but no luck!
YAMon is a monitoring tool and on YAMon's original thread is written "YAMon runs on routers that have been flashed with one of the *WRT firmware variants (e.g. DD-WRT, OpenWRT and also AsusWRT)." So I assume it should work on Merlin's Firmware.
I don't know if anyone was successful setting up this monitoring tool on Merlin's Firmware or not, but if anyone was successful please help me out.
I have installed DD WRT and then YAMon and everything went fine w/out any problems but DD WRT is not as stable as Merlin's Firmware.
I know that I am using another brand, but I am pretty sure, that it doesn't matter which brand I use, because My router uses Merlin's Firmware too.
I have searched a lot but unfortunately there is no tutorial about YAMon on an Asus's Router :(

UPDATE_1: Okay, so have found out that Merlin's Firmware doesn't Support SFTP instead it supports SCP, so I have successfully SCP-ed into the router.
but after I have plugged in my USB nothing is mounted, interesting is that there is no /opt folder!

Best Regards,
~William.C

Last edited:
What did you plug in? USB thumb drive or hdd drive? Did you partition/format/label it?
I guess you didn't. For that I suggest read this here. This thread helped very much. The first part is just for info but good to read. The real how-do starts with:
adminm@router:/tmp/home/root# fdisk /dev/sda

When you did this have a look at hqt.ro and install optware-ng or entware-ng. Then you have your /opt folder/partition and you can install your YAMon2

Piling on a little after the fact but I'm the guy who's developed YAMon (Yet Another Monitor). YAMon v3 (which was released earlier this year) now includes an install/setup script that greatly simplifies the initial configuration steps. v3 also include IPv6 traffic in the reports (among many many other features and capabilities).

See what devices are on your network (and group them accordingly):
daily%20tab%203.0.png
See when the traffic occurs:
when.png
Compare your router's totals with those provided by your ISP:
monthly%20breakdown%203.0.png
For more info, see http://usage-monitoring.com

Al