What's new

Yandex configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

p71

Occasional Visitor
Can someone help me what the following yandex settings mean on the interface?

Protection mode: Family/Safe

What is the difference between the two modes?

Thanks!

Yandex.DNS Standard (77.88.8.8) provides completely unfiltered access, Yandex.DNS Secure (77.88.8.88) blocks access to harmful websites, while Yandex.DNS Family (77.88.8.7) blocks adult content websites in addition to infected and phishing websites.

(recopied from an article found on Google)

So, under the option to Enable Yandex.DNS, there is a "Protection Mode" drop-down. Is this a "global" setting that applies to all clients whether or not they are specifically listed in the list below that, with the "Protection Mode" drop-downs next to the Clients Name a way of modifying the global setting for that specific client?

That's correct the topmost "common protection mode" is a global setting applies to all clients and the drop down allows you to specify on a per client basis which common protection mode is used.

Hi.

I have a problem with this service.
I have set the global protection to "no protection" but then added my children's mobile phones, ipods etc to the client list and set family mode for these devices. But when I tested, it´s still possible to reach adult sites from the devices.
Isn't the service working or is it not meant to stop adult content from showing when in family mode?

I just tested it now again and found that it is still working for me. Double-check that the the Enable Yandex.DNS is set to ON.

Hi.

Of course it is set to on. It doesn´t filter adult content. A simple search on google for adult pictures, shows a lot of inappropriate content.
But maybe I am mistaken on which kind of protection this gives?

I think you have to configure which DNS servers provided to clients via routers' DHCP server if you use DHCP. If not, you have to manually configure DNS in each client.

All devices that I want this protection on is using wireless connection to router. Do I need to insert Yandex DNS address in the DHCP part to have this protection on the devices? If so, then I really don´t understand why there is a list under the Yandex settings to add certain devices.

Usually DHCP sends DNS servers to devices to point to router. I mean if your router lan is 192.168.1.1 then dhcp will send this address as DNS to devices. Then router should get dns requests from devices and translate them to dns addresses of WAN interface. You can change dns addresses in those two places. Either at wan end or on device itself. The latter will work if router able to pass dns request behind nat, and I really don't have enough knowledge about it. So, you have to try both ways and choose which one you prefer or which one works. But in any case you will not be able to let one device view adult content and another do not. Such scenario only possible on per device settings which are not available in router (afair), so you have to configure each device manually.

Last edited:
I have not figured the secret out either. I have Enable Yandex.DNS "ON", Common Protection Mode "Family Mode" and several devices configured for "Family Mode" including my computer and can still access a brand name American adult site.

Figured it out. I had to turn off IPv6 but some common American sites get through, well one out of the 3-4 I tried. It has a Pen in the name.
Other thoughts- Yandex must have a IPv6 DNS that we could set manually I would think.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!