1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

YazFi - enhanced AsusWRT-Merlin Guest WiFi Networks

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Jack Yaz, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Jack Yaz

Jack Yaz Very Senior Member

YazFi
    v2.2.4

Feature expansion of guest WiFi networks on AsusWRT-Merlin, including, but not limited to:

* Dedicated VPN WiFi network
    * Separate subnets for enhanced organisation of devices
    * Allow guest networks to make use of pixelserv-tls (if installed)

This project is hosted on GitHub

Supported Models

All Asus models that are supported by Merlin, and have the Guest Network feature should be supported by this script. That being said, I will maintain a list of confirmed supported models as per user reports.
    • RT-AC56U
    • RT-AC68U
    • RT-AC86U
    • RT-AC87U (2.4GHz guests only)
    • RT-AC3200
    • RT-AC5300
    Upcoming Features
    • Increased validation of config file, to help users should errors appear added in v1.1.0
    • Better cleanup when guest networks are disabled in the config added in v1.2.0
    • Allowing access to LAN resources (either whole LAN or single LAN target)
    Installation

Using your preferred SSH client/terminal, copy and paste the following command, then press Enter:

Code:
    /usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/YazFi/master/YazFi" -o "/jffs/scripts/YazFi" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/YazFi && /jffs/scripts/YazFi install
    Please then follow instructions shown in the SSH client/terminal session.

For ease of reference, a sample configuration file is available here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/YazFi/master/YazFi.config.sample

I haven't used scripts before on AsusWRT-Merlin, what do I do?

If this is the first time you are using scripts, don't panic! In your router's WebUI, go to the Administration area of the left menu, and then the System tab. Set Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs to Yes. Further reading about scripts is available here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/User-scripts

[​IMG]

Updating

Using your preferred SSH client/terminal, copy and paste the following command, then press Enter:

Code:
    /jffs/scripts/YazFi update
    Known Issues/Limitations
    • The script overrides the "Access Intranet" WebUI setting (for now, see "Upcoming Features" above). If you want guests to be able to access Intranet resources, do not include the network in YazFi.

[​IMG]

Donations

Love the script and want to support future development? Any and all donations gratefully received!

PayPal donation

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    kernol, wacko911, jmedaglia and 17 others like this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Jack Yaz

Reserved

Vexira likes this.
  4. marelit

marelit Occasional Visitor

Thank you for all the effort you put into developing this script :).
    You can add the RT-AC56U to the list - it has been running smoothly on there for the past couple of weeks with no issues at all. Keep up the great work, I am personally looking forward to LAN access.

Jack Yaz likes this.
  5. Jack Yaz

v1.1.1 is now available. Changes include:
    • Validation of config file
    • Colour highlighting when running script in terminal
    • Removal of DHCP option 252 "\n" to replicate an upcoming change in 384.5

Code:
    /usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/YazFi/master/YazFi" -o "/jffs/scripts/YazFi" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/YazFi && /jffs/scripts/YazFi

Vexira and daviworld like this.
  6. Brenneke

Brenneke Regular Contributor

This is all new to me, sorry for the stupid question - have successfully learned how to connect via SSH on my Ubuntu system - do I first navigate to a specific directory on the router before I paste in your command or?

7. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

I'm going to safely assume it's the same as Installing the fresh Jr script.

8. Jack Yaz

It's easier.

Twiglets likes this.
  9. Jack Yaz

Welcome to the forums! I'll put something together for you when I'm home in few hours.

EDIT: if you're already connected via SSH then you can run the command as is and it'll put things in the right place for you

10. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

Sweet

11. Brenneke

Sorry to say, but as a non-tech guy, I find all these answers a little ambiguous & cryptic. Driving to a destination is really really easy if you have driven it many times, but when you give those directions to another, please don't assume they can envision what the left turn at the big fir tree looks like.
    Perhaps I have been a little ambiguous as well; I am working in Ubuntu Terminal, not a SSH client. (I guess)
    Here is where I get to when I connect to router:
    Code:
    ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.4-2 Sat Mar 24 17:01:45 UTC 2018
    ********@RT-AC68U-ADE8:/tmp/home/root#

Is this where I run your command from or do I need to navigate to a different directory on the router first......or do I run it when I am at the command prompt in Terminal before I connect to router?
    Also, just noticed my router model is not on your list, is there a chance that your script may work anyway?
    Thank you.

12. Jack Yaz

Sorry about the lack of clarity. I'm assuming you're running a "ssh" command in the Ubuntu terminal? Nevertheless, Terminal session looks fine so OK to run it there.

There's no reason for the script to not work for you! The list posted is confirmed working by users with those models, so all it means is that you're the first 68U!

13. MysticGold04

MysticGold04 Occasional Visitor

Will this work on John's (Merlin) fork? You mentioned there were changes made to accommodate the changes in 384.5...

14. Jack Yaz

I believe the change will be in John's fork, since John was the one who suggested it! The change is discussed here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/issue-with-pulse-secure-vpn.45902/#post-396648

Truth be told, I'm unsure on how much will be compatible. The separation of subnet should be OK, but the redirection to VPN would depend entirely on how @john9527 implemented policy routing. My script is currently writing to the vpn_clientX_clientlist nvram settings. John, do you use the same settings in your fork?

15. Brenneke

Script now installed and config configged. I am a little stuck however:
    1) After installing script, instruction said please run /jffs/scripts/YazFi...how do I do this?
    2)My Asus router is at 192.168.2.1 - does it matter what I set wl01_IPADDR to? Should it be 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.2.0 as per your example config?
    I made you chuckle didn't I?

16. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

Should work fine....

MysticGold04 likes this.
  17. Jack Yaz

1) In the terminal like the install script. Copy and paste version below:
    Code:
    /jffs/scripts/YazFi
    2) I'd recommend 192.168.3.1 in your case, i.e. the next subnet up. It can be any subnet you like, my script checks to make sure the selected subnet isn't already in use on the router.

And indeed! I'm toying with the idea of "auto-configuration", so you just set 1 thing and the script sets the rest.

18. Jack Yaz

Thanks John! @MysticGold04 if you do give the script a go let me know how you get on!

19. john9527

Jack Yaz likes this.
  20. john9527

@Jack Yaz
    One thing I noticed when I browsed through your script. When you break the string for the AC86 platform, shouldn't you offset the starting positions by one?

21. Jack Yaz

I'll double check but I think it's a length/index thing.

onix likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!