What's new

YazFi YazFi - enhanced AsusWRT-Merlin Guest WiFi inc. SSID <-> VPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, I'm new here. I seem to have a blank YazFi config file and I can't seem to fix it.
Router is an Asus RT-AC56R with Merlin firmware 384.5. Settings are done on a Mac, and amtm is done through the Terminal. I have no experience with nano or vi.
What happened:
After running the install script in the first post of this thread, I goofed and quit the Terminal without running /jffs/scripts/YazFi.
I have the sample config file filled out, I just need to install it, I think...
Any help appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new here. I seem to have a blank YazFi config file and I can't seem to fix it.
Router is an Asus RT-AC56R with Merlin firmware 384.5. Settings are done on a Mac, and amtm is done through the Terminal. I have no experience with nano or vi.
What happened:
After running the install script in the first post of this thread, I goofed and quit the Terminal without running /jffs/scripts/YazFi.
I have the sample config file filled out, I just need to install it, I think...
Any help appreciated.
Thank you.
If you've got the sample file set how you want, then you just need to save it as YazFi.config into /jffs/configs, and then run /jffs/scripts/YazFi

Thank you for your help.
I have saved the file as YazFi.config. I'm having trouble saving it into /jffs/configs.
I try, then run /jffs/scripts/YazFi, and I get an output that makes no mention of settings.
Here is the full text of the output, copied and pasted from the Terminal (blank middle line included):
YazFi: YazFi v2.2.4 starting up

YazFi: YazFi v2.2.4 completed successfully

I have been trying to use nano to install the "YazFi.config" file, but I think I'm doing something wrong.

Where is the current location of the config file you are attempting to edit and use ? On the Mac or already on the Router ? If on the router what is the current directory where it is currently located ?

May sound trivial, but jut making sure we are not getting the cart before the horse here.

The only reason I am asking is you mention install it ? I almost think it is not in the correct place.

Where is the current location of the config file you are attempting to edit and use ? On the Mac or already on the Router ? If on the router what is the current directory where it is currently located ?

May sound trivial, but jut making sure we are not getting the cart before the horse here.

The only reason I am asking is you mention install it ? I almost think it is not in the correct place.

The file is on the Mac's desktop. I have tried copying and pasting it into /jffs/configs but that doesn't seem to work.

Ok since I don't know the entire structure of login name etc for your device this will be generic you'll need to add in portions to fit your particular situation.

This starts with you not being logged into the router via terminal, just in a normal Terminal session on the Mac.

Below :
1. "admin" is the router user id * if you have changed it, use the correct login.
2. The IP address 192.168.1.1 will also be different if your running from a different ip scheme.
3. Substitute "YOUR_USERNAME" with the user name of the user on the Mac account you are using.

Code:
scp /users/YOUR_USERNAME/Desktop/YazFi.config admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/configs/YazFi.config

If the transfer succeeds you should see output like this

Code:
YazFi.config                                 100%  353   219.4KB/s   00:00

Once the transfer completes.

Login to the router via Terminal and type to start things up with the config file in place.

Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/YazFi

Once the transfer completes.

Login to the router via Terminal and type to start things up with the config file in place.

Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/YazFi
Thank you for your help. The transfer seemed successful, but I got this error after running sh /jffs/scripts/Yazfi:
/jffs/scripts/YazFi: /jffs/configs/YazFi.config: line 1: {rtf1ansiansicpg1252cocoartf1561cocoasubrtf400: not found
/jffs/scripts/YazFi: /jffs/configs/YazFi.config: line 2: syntax error: unexpected "}"

The "YazFi.config" file is in rtf format.

Likely the file is named "YazFi.config.rtf"

The easiest way to fix is to Command + I and under name remove the ".rtf" Finder will ask you if you wish to rename the file, select yes.

* Note if the file has .rtf encodings there will likely be extraneous characters in the file. You'll need to re edit the file to remove those. Once the re edit is complete, and the file saved. Simply issue the copy command again to send the updated file to the router.

* Do not use textedit to edit the file. Use something like textwrangler available from the App Store. If you do not intend to use nano.

You may be able to open the file with text wrangler once it is named correctly and simply remove the encodings.

You can see below what would likely need to be removed using text wrangler.

Nope there are extra encoding all the way down, it would be far easier to simply paste a new copy of the template in and edit the desired fields.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 20.04.20.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 20.04.20.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:
Pasted settings to TextWrangler and saved as text, with the .config suffix. Followed your instructions twice more, since the first time got errors on the extra ":5443" that had been on the end of the guest DNS (now edited out). Looks like it worked!
Thank you very much. Much appreciated!

Looks like it worked!
Thank you very much. Much appreciated!

No problem glad to help.

Make sure it is indeed working, by simply connecting a client and making sure the correct IP is received, and the client it going out over VPN or LAN etc. Make sure your internet traffic is getting routed correctly.

I know the first few times I tried I made some silly mistakes. :rolleyes: I learned a lot from my mistakes.

I spoke too soon. The bandwidth limiter isn't limiting the guest network.
I don't know how Asus implements bandwidth limiting. I would have thought it was by interface, so should continue to function. Did it work without YazFi?

I didn't think to test it first (our old router running Tomato didn't tolerate something on the "wrong network" for testing).

The bandwidth limiter is working now, with settings entered under the QOS tab in Adaptive QOS, and using the guest IP range from YazFi.
Before, it had been set by filling out the fields that came up from clicking on the user-entered text under "Guest Network". I haven't deleted those yet.
Thank you both for your help.

Update: The bandwidth limiter setting stopped working. Since then, I could only get it to work on the upstream or downstream, not both at once, so the limiter is turned off for the time being. Is it possible to rate-limit the guest network another way, like maybe setting its own wireless mode to 802.11b, without affecting anything else?

Last edited:
Hey Jack,

I see your script has matured by quite a bit and was thinking of giving it a test run for my next weekend project.

I'm trying to decide between just using robocfg or your script since both methods seem to act as pseudo vlans, now my questions are.

1. I see I can already create a different subnet for each of the guest subnets using your script, which will be useful for wireless devices I am trying to separate. Will I be able to reach lan resources such as a network/media share's even though I am on a different subnet? for example main router 192.168.1.1 and guest subnet 192.168.2.1

2. Can wired lan devices be added to the guest network, to be seprated, or does the script strictly only work with wireless devices?

3. You mentioned creating the guest network before running the script, but can we make changes to the guest network and script post-installation and the changes will persist?

Hi!

1. I see I can already create a different subnet for each of the guest subnets using your script, which will be useful for wireless devices I am trying to separate. Will I be able to reach lan resources such as a network/media share's even though I am on a different subnet? for example main router 192.168.1.1 and guest subnet 192.168.2.1
LAN resources (except DHCP and DNS on the router, and/or Pixelserv-tls if you run it) are currently all blocked. Allowing whitelisting of LAN devices, IPs and ports etc. is on my to-do!

2. Can wired lan devices be added to the guest network, to be seprated, or does the script strictly only work with wireless devices?
Currently the script assigns a DHCP range to the relevant wireless interface. You could probably assign a wired device in the same subnet, but since it would be switched traffic, rather than routed, it probably won't behave as it should. Moving to bridge/vlan rather than picking on WiFi interfaces is something I have looked in to, but supporting different models with different port layouts gets complicated!

3. You mentioned creating the guest network before running the script, but can we make changes to the guest network and script post-installation and the changes will persist?
Sure, if the change restarts the firewall, then YazFi is present in firewall-start. You can also manually call YazFi at any time to apply again. Schedule support is also on my to-do!

Awesome, I'll give it a whirl since 1 and 3 is planned for future development, for now I can work around those. 2 isn't that important since I only have 1 wired device, but can put it on wireless. I'll need to rework my environment a little, but after you include lan resource's, it'll be almost perfect for my need's
Hi!

LAN resources (except DHCP and DNS on the router, and/or Pixelserv-tls if you run it) are currently all blocked. Allowing whitelisting of LAN devices, IPs and ports etc. is on my to-do!

Currently the script assigns a DHCP range to the relevant wireless interface. You could probably assign a wired device in the same subnet, but since it would be switched traffic, rather than routed, it probably won't behave as it should. Moving to bridge/vlan rather than picking on WiFi interfaces is something I have looked in to, but supporting different models with different port layouts gets complicated!

Sure, if the change restarts the firewall, then YazFi is present in firewall-start. You can also manually call YazFi at any time to apply again. Schedule support is also on my to-do!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!