What's new

Yet another way to sync your router's clock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fitz Mutch

I use an Asus RT-AC56U with DD-WRT firmware as my travel router because it has wireless client mode. So, here I sit in some parking lot within range of some free public Wi-Fi, trying to route a bunch of devices through Tor running on the router, but it does not work. :cool: The problem is that sometimes the router cannot sync its clock with an Internet time source, for whatever reason, and this causes problems with Tor and other services that depend on certificate validation. I discovered how to turn on the NTP Server in Windows, then have the router sync its clock with my Windows laptop on the local network. It works!! No Internet connection is required for time synchronization. Yet another way to sync your router's clock.

HOWTO: Configure Windows as an NTP Server

1. Stop Windows Time service using the Services applet

2. Regedit

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\W32Time\Config
Value: AnnounceFlags = 5
Announce flag values:
0 Timeserv_Announce_No, Reliable_Timeserv_Announce_No. The domain controller does not advertise time service.
1 Timeserv_Announce_Yes. The domain controller always advertises time service.
2 Timeserv_Announce_Auto. The domain controller automatically determines whether it should advertise time service.
4 Reliable_Timeserv_Announce_Yes. The domain controller will always advertise reliable time service.
8 Reliable_Timeserv_Announce_Auto. The domain controller automatically determines whether it should advertise reliable time service.
Flag 5 (1+4) means "The domain controller always advertises time service" and "The domain controller will always advertise reliable time service".
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpServer
Value: Enabled = 1
3. Start Windows Time service

4. Windows Firewall

Inbound Rule: New Rule -> Port -> UDP -> 123 -> Allow the connection, Name = NTP Server​

Sync your router's clock with Windows

WebUI: Administration -> System -> Miscellaneous -> NTP Server = (ip address of my Windows laptop)

Last edited:
I use an Asus RT-AC56U with DD-WRT firmware as my travel router because it has wireless client mode. So, here I sit in some parking lot within range of some free public Wi-Fi, trying to route a bunch of devices through Tor running on the router, but it does not work. :cool: The problem is that sometimes the router cannot sync its clock with an Internet time source, for whatever reason, and this causes problems with Tor and other services that depend on certificate validation. I discovered how to turn on the NTP Server in Windows, then have the router sync its clock with my Windows laptop on the local network. It works!! No Internet connection is required for time synchronization. Yet another way to sync your router's clock.

HOWTO: Configure Windows as an NTP Server

1. Stop Windows Time service using the Services applet

2. Regedit

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\W32Time\Config
Value: AnnounceFlags = 5
Announce flag values:
0 Timeserv_Announce_No, Reliable_Timeserv_Announce_No. The domain controller does not advertise time service.
1 Timeserv_Announce_Yes. The domain controller always advertises time service.
2 Timeserv_Announce_Auto. The domain controller automatically determines whether it should advertise time service.
4 Reliable_Timeserv_Announce_Yes. The domain controller will always advertise reliable time service.
8 Reliable_Timeserv_Announce_Auto. The domain controller automatically determines whether it should advertise reliable time service.
Flag 5 (1+4) means "The domain controller always advertises time service" and "The domain controller will always advertise reliable time service".
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpServer
Value: Enabled = 1​
3. Start Windows Time service

4. Windows Firewall

Inbound Rule: New Rule -> Port -> UDP -> 123 -> Allow the connection, Name = NTP Server​

Sync your router's clock with Windows

WebUI: Administration -> System -> Miscellaneous -> NTP Server = (ip address of my Windows laptop)
You had me at "travel router" ;)

I use an Asus RT-AC56U with DD-WRT firmware as my travel router ..........

You made my day :) It is very rare to meet somebody more paranoid than me :)