What's new

Your advice please for a basic NAS: Buffalo or Zyxel?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

busdevil

New Around Here
Hi!

So I started my research because I needed an external HD because all I really needed is to backup our computer. Luckily, I learned about NAS, and now I know that his will serve as both backup and also will allow me and others (mainly family in other country) to access our photos...

What I looked at are the single drive (included) 2TB such as:
Western Digital My Book Live
Buffalo Technology LinkStation Pro LS-VL
LG 1 Bay Super Multi NAS

I ruled out the following because of poor reviews elsewhere:
Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive

Out of the three above I thought I will go with the Buffalo due to performance and features. However, like others, I couldn't find very favorable reviews.

Then I found the Zyxel NSA 320, which seems reasonably priced for what you get. However I will need to add additional drive that will bring the cost to about $250 instead of around $190 for the Buffalo...

I couldn't find the Zyxel in your NAS charts to compare features, so here are my questions:

If I do choose to go with $250 price- what are my other options?
Is it worth the additional $50-$55?

Again, I'm looking for reliable backup solution primarily, but I know that I will use a lot the remote access function and I need it to be secured and fast.
I would also like the option of streaming and most important I need it to last...

I didn't think that I have so much to write :) Anyway, your advice will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Thank you.
So I tried to look at the two, and in order to keep the above budget I think it basically means Ds212j or qnap ts 212.
Both are around $200 without drives, so the cheapest will be to buy a 2TV single drive. Is it make sense? If not we are talking about $400 and more.... Much more than I planned.

Is there else I should look at?
I guess you will route out the lg n2a2.
Again for sent feedback!

single drive Synology or QNAP?

LG - bad reviews. Mass marketed so it's probably long on sales effort and short on engineering. I think that's a physics principle: Quality/performance is inversely proportional to the amount spent on advertising.

Last edited:
Take a second look at the WD MyBook Live. Remote access is very easy and it's plenty fast enough for what you are going to do with it.

Buffalo's remote access is also very easy because you access via a web portal.

Buying a QNAP or Synology is wasting your money. You are paying for features you aren't going to use.

I narrowed the list: which one out of 3?

Thank you everyone.

I will insist some more as I really want to understand what you guys are thinking. I narrowed the list to three:
I ruled out the WD becuase it doesn't have some of the features that I think are important (especially the USB port for additional back up).

I am looking at thefollowing:
- Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-VL 2tb for about $200.
- DS 212j - $205
- QNAP TS 212- $205

Additional one (1) 2TB HD is $100, so I am looking at $100 dollar difference.
So- Is it really worth the $100 more for reliability?
I do not want to pay extra for features I don't need, but I have no problem to pay more knowing that it will survive more time and I will always be able to but a new drive in the worst case.
What I think is that if the Buffalo fails - I may lose my data and will need to buy a new one.

Am I wrong? or can save $100 and be safe with the Buffalo while backing up to external drive? In other word- looking to the future which one will last longer?

Thanks again.

If ability to replace drive is important to you, then go with a QNAP or Synology. Drive replacement is possible, but not easy on the WD or Buffalo.

But consider with advances in price, performance and storage density, that by the time the drive fails, you will probably want a new NAS anyway.

Honestly, I think a 2-drive NAS is overkill and extra expense in your situation. You mentioned you were using it to just backup files so your files are already in another location. What does having two drives vs one buy you in that situation?

I use a Zyxel two drive NAS as a back up to a Qnap NAS which is a backup to the main Qnap NAS.

Never had a problem with the Zyxel NAS, it is slow, but fast enough.

I use a big USB3 drive to backup the NAS. Another way is an eSATA drive, external. That's probably the fastest/cheapest.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!