What's new

Zabbix showing high bandwidth on eth0 pretty much always

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JustinSEO

New Around Here
Hello,

I have Spectrum 300/15 service at my new home and I setup my network as bridge mode from the modem into an Asus RT-AC66R running Merlin 380.70; and upstairs I have a small home-lab setup with two servers, a large managed switch and pfSense firewall on a VM. It's alot of traffic locally, but I don't have a ton of bandwidth traveling out eth0.

I have setup Zabbix for my monitoring solution, and the ASUS router is constantly telling me that eth0 is "high bandwidth over 95% IE:

ASUS Router 95% ), Severity, Warning" Interface eth0: High bandwidth usage ( > 95% )
So, my question is could this router that is supposed to be capable of running up to near gigabit speeds be maxing out the WAN port like it's reporting to Zabbix? Anyone else running one of these capable of monitoring eth0 bandwidth usage? I use QoS on the managed switch for everything upstairs, and the only thing that is before that homelab is a PlayStation 4, as I haven't had time to set it up in pfSense yet.

I'm not really worried because the speedtests I perform on my desktop and linux VMs still show up high 200s generally. I have had my servers slow down during downloads or updates before, and before I blame it on the virtualization IO; I want to investigate this router. I know I need to upgrade soon, and I will likely keep it for the 2.4GHZ/5GHZ and put another wired router in it's place.

How does Zabbix know the upper limit of eth0? Are you sure 95% is accurate? I’m not familiar with Zabbix, so I’m wondering how the percentage is determined. Or, make sure the connection from the router to modem is actually at 1 Gbps and not 100 Mbps.

Not sure how it records it, but it is done via SNMP. The protocol scans for information from the router and reports it to Zabbix.

The rest of the ports don't report high bandwidth just eth0.

Also, if the modem to router link was negotiating at 100Mb wouldn't my speedtest be capped around 90s? I test higher than 100 on most wired connections.

I can see full duplex for the ports of the router but the WAN interface doesn't show up. What is a command for telnet or another way to check if my uplink is rated for full duplex/1000Mbps.

You can see the interface speeds on the router at Tools > System Information.

You can see traffic usage at Traffic Manager - Traffic Monitor. But two things to be aware of, 1) if the router has hardware acceleration enabled it will not show all the WAN traffic, and 2) using SNMP for router stats can be unreliable so don't believe everything it reports.