What's new

Zen Wi-Fi XT8 is a dream

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cheoah

Occasional Visitor
This XT8 mesh has been up for at least 4 weeks now without a reboot. I upgraded from an AC88U, which replaced an 87U, preceded by what, 66n? Can’t even remember.

Until this change I’ve been running an AC1900 in aimesh, but I could never really make it work. At first I was afraid to add the 88U into this AX mesh, but then I just no longer cared. It is incredibly robust, two units cover much of 2 acres. I’m still on the network at 100 yards out into the pasture behind our house, just barely, but the radios are really powerful.

Ok. Big caveat. We’re semi rurally situated and there’s no radio traffic. No SSID’s visible from here, neighbors are 100 yards away. I know they can see mine!

I’m running 1 SSID. I was skeptical about this based on other reports, but I think radio traffic must be a major factor in some cases. Wireless Clients here are mix of iOS devices and ioT; Mac and Linux and a microcell tower on Ethernet. We’ve got maybe 48 clients. Nothing unusual. I even bought a used XT8 from Amazon, adding one more variable. But it’s just solid. Not sure what else to say about it. Boringly solid. I do recall something like beamforming turned off by default, and thought that was gene4ally on by default, and surmised it was a return and someone had tweaked the settings. I have no idea. I’m running auto channels.

Very pleased, my network is rock solid and powerful. I know I’m missing something, but wanted to share my experience. Exceeded my expectations. Was ready to give up on aimesh.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!