What's new

Zen WiFi XT8, nothing but frustration.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cosrocket

Regular Contributor
I apologize if this is long and rambling, but I am my wits end with the XT8 and do not know what to do. I purchased a 2 pack back in November, the setup went very smoothly, and the performance was great, I had just increased my internet speed to 400 mbps down and 20 up and was getting full speed with the XT8’s all over my house and into the backyard. We have an open floor plan which I am sure helps, and I was coming from a 3 set of Eero Pro’s and had tried the Orbi RBK752 WiFi 6 system, all of which worked great. My issues began with the second firmware update to the XT8’s that came out after I received them, the next firmware to the one that was installed worked fine as well. To make a long story as short as possible I have had nothing but problems since then. The second node which is in the exact same place as it’s been since I got them constantly gets a “Weak signal” I reboot the system and the second node says the connection is Great for a few hours but invariably it changes to Weak and the speed I get in the second part of the house is way less than what I should be getting. I tried reverting the firmware and even reset the whole system and start over but unlike when I first received them where the setup went smoothly, the second node cannot even be found by the first node in the same room. Then after maybe 4 tries it will find it and will say the second node is connected, even though the blue light is blinking quickly when it should be solid white. I have even swapped nodes hoping that might solve the problem, but the same thing is happening.

I can go on but you get the idea. My question is if there is something I should try, or a setting I can change to keep the second node from changing from Great to Weak. I can try to move the second node, but as I said it is in the same place where it got a great signal when I received it for at least a month and it’s really the best place for me to have it. The Eero and Orbi systems I mentioned got great connections from the same location as well so I don’t really think it is the issue. Also what I mentioned about the problem resetting the system and the second nodes light blinking blue when it says it is connected.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi

I had a similar issue after a firmware upgrade, which included a clean reset and repair as part of the process.

The 2nd Node would connect but was always weak in signal and flash blue, what I noticed was that it occured if I left the wireless settings page on 5ghz-2 (i.e. leave the drop down on that option irrespective of altering anythjng), on both the normal and professional tab. Changing it to 5ghz-1 or 2.4ghz made it return to normal behaviour,don't ask me why but I recreated it by swapping back,can only assume it affects the backhaul channel,but why I don't know.

I'd put it down to a weird but in mine, and did not seem it probable as an issue for others (although I did mention it either on here or the Sonos forum as part of another issue). It's certainly a weird one on me.

It might be worth checking

Minimos

Thanks, I'll check it out. I completely forgot to mention the issues I had with Sonos, after a particular update the Play 1 in a bathroom just stopped working and I was on the phone with Sonos for at least 2 hours to no avail. I reset the system after going through multiple tries and it finally solved that problem. What a mess.

I replaced my 2 RT-AC86U units with an eero pro 3 unit system. I run Untangle loaded on a Qotom mini pc to provide vpn services. The Asus units worked very well, but my network is now really trouble free with the 3 eero pro units. The main selling point on the eero system is “it just works” and I agree.

I replaced my 2 RT-AC86U units with an eero pro 3 unit system. I run Untangle loaded on a Qotom mini pc to provide vpn services. The Asus units worked very well, but my network is now really trouble free with the 3 eero pro units. The main selling point on the eero system is “it just works” and I agree.

I used eero pro's for about 3 years. Yes, not much admin time, but mediocre speeds, and then tried the eero pro 6, which should have been better, but performed about the same as the eero pro's at my place. Got tired of waiting for eero to do the promised firmware improvements, so moved to the ZenWiFi AX, and it has been great without wired backhaul. Around 500+Mbps wireless everywhere in my house on gigabit fiber, about twice the speed of the eero pro mesh without wired backhaul. So much better than the eeros...and a lot more information about what's going on as well, system log, per-client traffic data, etc. Even wifi-5 devices benefit from the wifi-6 connection between the router node and the remote node at the remote node. Very happy with the speed. The 26044 firmware, and now the 42095 firmware both have worked very well for me, and been fast and reliable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!