What's new

ZenWiFi AC (CT8) Noob Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Edge

New Around Here
All,

I just recently purchased a ZenWiFi for my home and I have some questions that I hope you can help answer. I am using Frontier as my ISP (500/500) and only use their internet service. The whole house is wired with CAT 5e cable and Frontier internet is coming into the house and into the wiring closet via Ethernet.

1) Is there a need to use the Frontier provided router? Can I just go from Ethernet into one of the ZenWifi routers? Are there any security concerns that I should be aware of with this approach?

2) If I wanted to use a Ethernet back haul to connect both ZenWifi routers, then does the second node still need to be somewhat close to the first node or can the second node placed a little farther away since I am using the Ethernet back haul?

3) When standing next to the ZenWifi (node 1) is there any reason why my speed tests are not getting close to the 500/500? The test is being performed from my phone and laptop using fast.com and using 5 GHz band.

Thanks in advance

All,

I just recently purchased a ZenWiFi for my home and I have some questions that I hope you can help answer. I am using Frontier as my ISP (500/500) and only use their internet service. The whole house is wired with CAT 5e cable and Frontier internet is coming into the house and into the wiring closet via Ethernet.

1) Is there a need to use the Frontier provided router? Can I just go from Ethernet into one of the ZenWifi routers? Are there any security concerns that I should be aware of with this approach?

2) If I wanted to use a Ethernet back haul to connect both ZenWifi routers, then does the second node still need to be somewhat close to the first node or can the second node placed a little farther away since I am using the Ethernet back haul?

3) When standing next to the ZenWifi (node 1) is there any reason why my speed tests are not getting close to the 500/500? The test is being performed from my phone and laptop using fast.com and using 5 GHz band.

Thanks in advance

I'm not familiar with Frontier, but I would not hesitate to try your router WAN on their Ethernet connection. Your router firewall will firewall your networks.

Ethernet cable distance is dictated by the Ethernet standard, not by your equipment. So, put your node where you want it and wire its WAN to your router LAN. Set the node connection priority to Wired/Ethernet.

Perform speed tests with a wired PC to know your top speed. When testing with wireless clients, know the client's connection link rate before judging its speed measurement. Also, Ethernet is full duplex and WiFi is half duplex.

I don't know if the ZenWiFi router can can do 500/500.

OE

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!