What's new

ZenWiFi AX Mesh WiFi - Red LED ("Disconnected from internet")

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Weggy

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with my Asus ZenWiFi AX Mesh WiFi setup. The Asus ZenWiFi AX marked as "Access Point(AP) mode" is displaying a red LED. From looking at here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044577/ It would seem that equals "Disconnected from internet".

This is confusing as the device is connected to the modem and Mesh Wifi node via ethernet cabling. Also the connection is confirmed within the web U.I. as seen here:
1645635034791.png

Focusing on the items involved, the connection of the router and node look like this:
1645634335921.png

DHCP is handled on the network by the pfSense modem.

What I believe I have setup is inline with the guidence of using a switch and Mesh Wifi according to this link and "Scenario 3: Use AiMesh or ZenWiFi with network switch, and use the Main AiMesh router as AP mode (Bridge mode).":

Can anyone help me with what I might be doing wrong?

Many Thanks

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with my Asus ZenWiFi AX Mesh WiFi setup. The Asus ZenWiFi AX marked as "Access Point(AP) mode" is displaying a red LED. From looking at here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044577/ It would seem that equals "Disconnected from internet".

This is confusing as the device is connected to the modem and Mesh Wifi node via ethernet cabling. Also the connection is confirmed within the web U.I. as seen here:
View attachment 39744

Focusing on the items involved, the connection of the router and node look like this:
View attachment 39743

DHCP is handled on the network by the pfSense modem.

What I believe I have setup is inline with the guidence of using a switch and Mesh Wifi according to this link and "Scenario 3: Use AiMesh or ZenWiFi with network switch, and use the Main AiMesh router as AP mode (Bridge mode).":

Can anyone help me with what I might be doing wrong?

Many Thanks

I would suspect how the panel is wired and/or the nature of the switch, and try to prove it by temporarily moving/bypassing things to see if the condition clears.

OE

I would suspect how the panel is wired and/or the nature of the switch, and try to prove it by temporarily moving/bypassing things to see if the condition clears.

OE
I've tried plugging directly into the switch on another port. Results in the same issue. I've had no issues with the switch itself and any other form of networking which goes through it, so I can't see how the switch would be at fault. But perhaps it is indirectly through the fact the Asus ZenWiFi AX does not like it. But I can't understand why.

Okay, small update. I've removed the node and reset the WifI mesh router. The router LED is now "white", I.E. functioning as it should be. The setup now looks like this:
1645706526091.png

As you can see, the switch is still in the same place. So if it were an issue, I'd expect to see the same problem. So I can only assume something else is going on.

Another update, I've now plugged with Wifi mesh router into my modem. So my setup now looks like this:
1645708571092.png

This setup gives a white LED when I'm plugged in via the Wifi mesh router WAN port. However, if I plug into the LAN port (as this guide says I should https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044151/), I get a red LED.

Another update, I've now plugged with Wifi mesh router into my modem. So my setup now looks like this:
View attachment 39768

This setup gives a white LED when I'm plugged in via the Wifi mesh router WAN port. However, if I plug into the LAN port (as this guide says I should https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044151/), I get a red LED.

Hmm. If you could wire it like this:

non-AiMesh lan <wire> wan AiMesh router AP Mode lan <wire/wireless> wan AiMesh node

It would likely work and you could move on.

OE

Hmm. If you could wire it like this:

non-AiMesh lan <wire> wan AiMesh router AP Mode lan <wire/wireless> wan AiMesh node

It would likely work and you could move on.

OE
Hello, I have same issue with my ZenWifi AX mini XD4. No internet connection with Red LED showing. Because I am unable to connect to routerasus.com I used the asus Firmware Restoration program to update the Firmware on the node. After successful completion I still have the RED led showing and can't access the Internet, and also can't access via IP because it is unknown at this stage and the Asus Discovery app can't see it. Completely useless if we can't access the internet. Anyone had the same issue and have a resolution would be help. Had no response from Asus Support.

Hello, I have same issue with my ZenWifi AX mini XD4. No internet connection with Red LED showing. Because I am unable to connect to routerasus.com I used the asus Firmware Restoration program to update the Firmware on the node. After successful completion I still have the RED led showing and can't access the Internet, and also can't access via IP because it is unknown at this stage and the Asus Discovery app can't see it. Completely useless if we can't access the internet. Anyone had the same issue and have a resolution would be help. Had no response from Asus Support.

The OP has a particular network arrangement that is being considered here. I have no idea what you are trying to do. You should start your own topic to explain your network and issue.

The URL for logging into an Asus router webUI is router.asus.com. The default IP address is either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1. Reset the firmware before you configure it.

Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore
Hard Reset/Restore w/Initialize

OE

I've now changed my setup but the results are the same. As you can see the Node is now effectively directly connected to the Router via the patch panel. The router is then connected to my switch. However, what seems to cause the red LED is not the switch but the port I use on the router. It should be the LAN port that I use to connect it to the network and not the WAN, but using the LAN causes are red LED while using the WAN port does not. BUT I can't use the WAN port while also having a node connected.

1645802026876.png

Attachments

• 1645801935278.png
    1645801935278.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 129
Okay a potential fix for my issue appears to be the following setup as the red LED disappear on plugging in an ethernet from Asus Router WAN to Modem LAN:
1645803415356.png

Okay a potential fix for my issue appears to be the following setup as the red LED disappear on plugging in an ethernet from Asus Router WAN to Modem LAN:
View attachment 39800

That makes sense for the LED function... but the switch/LAN segment is concerning.

OE

Okay, the above was causing issues with speed, but I think it gave me the answer I needed. Which is the Asus ZenWiFi AX router in Access Point (AP) mode needs BOTH the WAN plugged into the modem AND the LAN plugged into the switch. My final solution is as follows and looks to be working well. I'm getting wireless download speeds of 600Mbps (Internet line is 1Gbps):
1645804600947.png

So finally I am happy, thanks all :D

Attachments

• 1645804450201.png
    1645804450201.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 114
Okay, the above was causing issues with speed, but I think it gave me the answer I needed. Which is the Asus ZenWiFi AX router in Access Point (AP) mode needs BOTH the WAN plugged into the modem AND the LAN plugged into the switch. My final solution is as follows and looks to be working well. I'm getting wireless download speeds of 600Mbps (Internet line is 1Gbps):
View attachment 39802

So finally I am happy, thanks all :D

The switch/LAN segment makes more sense now with that previous panel/LAN segment removed.

It could be that the AiMesh WAN sensing just does not like/work through that switch.

OE

I have exactly the same red light issue in the main router. Its only downside is that the devices connected to the main router’s other lan ports cannot connect to internet while connections via wifi work just fine. Perhaps connecting also the wan port to the switch fixes everything.

Did you happen to ask Asus about the extra wan connection which is not mentioned in the documentation? Are your ZenWifis also in version 3.0.0.4.386_46061?

Resurrecting this thread since @Weggy referred to it elsewhere ...

I can't believe that the LAN setup shown in that last diagram is a good idea. The switch, the modem, and the AP each have two possible pathways to send a packet to anywhere else on the LAN. If that works, it's only by accident. Layer-2 LANs do not have any notion that some pathways are shorter than others; each node only knows that it's discovered that it can send a packet to MAC address X by pushing it out port Y. If you have loops in the diagram it's entirely possible for a packet to bounce back and forth and never get delivered to where it was intended to go. It might work for awhile and then stop working, depending on particular gear having rebooted and then recomputed its ARP tables.

I looked up the JGS524Ev2 and that seems like a pretty serious bit of kit. If I were you I'd plug everything into that and not bother with any additional cables. Do you even need the "patch panel"?

As for the original problem --- a ZenWiFi unit in AP mode certainly ought to treat all its ports alike. I can't escape the suspicion that yours is not set up in AP mode, but thinks it's a router.

The other bit of advice I'd offer is that you probably need to analyze things more carefully than "the red LED is on". It'd be useful for instance to check the system log to see just what error messages are appearing. I'd also look into the system status tab to verify that all the ports you have cables attached to are shown as up and connected. Maybe there is a faulty cable or faulty port involved in this mess.

Resurrecting this thread since @Weggy referred to it elsewhere ...

I can't believe that the LAN setup shown in that last diagram is a good idea. The switch, the modem, and the AP each have two possible pathways to send a packet to anywhere else on the LAN. If that works, it's only by accident. Layer-2 LANs do not have any notion that some pathways are shorter than others; each node only knows that it's discovered that it can send a packet to MAC address X by pushing it out port Y. If you have loops in the diagram it's entirely possible for a packet to bounce back and forth and never get delivered to where it was intended to go. It might work for awhile and then stop working, depending on particular gear having rebooted and then recomputed its ARP tables.

I looked up the JGS524Ev2 and that seems like a pretty serious bit of kit. If I were you I'd plug everything into that and not bother with any additional cables. Do you even need the "patch panel"?

As for the original problem --- a ZenWiFi unit in AP mode certainly ought to treat all its ports alike. I can't escape the suspicion that yours is not set up in AP mode, but thinks it's a router.

The other bit of advice I'd offer is that you probably need to analyze things more carefully than "the red LED is on". It'd be useful for instance to check the system log to see just what error messages are appearing. I'd also look into the system status tab to verify that all the ports you have cables attached to are shown as up and connected. Maybe there is a faulty cable or faulty port involved in this mess.
Would you be able to draw a diagram of how you would alter my setup. Sorry bit of a visual person and it would be super helpful to me.

Also I can confirm my ZenWiFi unit is in AP mode:
1669993469887.png

Would you be able to draw a diagram of how you would alter my setup. Sorry bit of a visual person and it would be super helpful to me.
Don't really know anything about posting diagrams here. But what I'd recommend is that you make each other piece of gear have exactly one ethernet cable, going to that Netgear switch. (Leading through the patch panel is fine, as long as it's just one signal pathway per device.)

In terms of the last diagram you posted, losing the direct connection between the main AP and the modem would be enough.

Another way that'd eliminate the loop would be to remove the direct connection between the modem and the switch, which'd require that all traffic between the internet and the rest of your LAN pass through the main AP as well as the switch. My guess is that that would not be a win performance-wise.

Don't really know anything about posting diagrams here. But what I'd recommend is that you make each other piece of gear have exactly one ethernet cable, going to that Netgear switch. (Leading through the patch panel is fine, as long as it's just one signal pathway per device.)

In terms of the last diagram you posted, losing the direct connection between the main AP and the modem would be enough.

Another way that'd eliminate the loop would be to remove the direct connection between the modem and the switch, which'd require that all traffic between the internet and the rest of your LAN pass through the main AP as well as the switch. My guess is that that would not be a win performance-wise.
My original post on this thread is exactly what you are suggesting I believe. See:
"What I believe I have setup is inline with the guidence of using a switch and Mesh Wifi according to this link and "Scenario 3: Use AiMesh or ZenWiFi with network switch, and use the Main AiMesh router as AP mode (Bridge mode).": [AiMesh] How to set up ASUS AiMesh or ZenWiFi Mesh Ethernet backhaul under different conditions ? (Advanced setup with network switch) | Official Support | ASUS Global"

It should look a bit like this:
1670594690360.png

Well I've tried it again and now it magically works!

I can only assume firmware updates between now and then have perhaps had an effect, see here:
The most noteable change in this stuiation being "Fixed 2.5G port compatibility issues.". Perhaps it was another change/fix in the firmware. As if it's not that I can't imagine why I and others had this problem.

Regardless I've now got the set I originally (@tgl suggested) wanted. I hope it also works for other now, @ilzed what about you?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!