What's new

ZenWiFi AX XT8 connect via ethernet to TV securely

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NickAdams

New Around Here
I understand that the FBI suggests that IoT devices be segregated from the network. I would like to connect my TV to my the ZenWiFi AX XT8 router via ethernet cable (v wifi) for better performance - it is currently on a guest network without intranet access. How can I segregate the TV from the rest of the network via ethernet - like a wifi guest network? I understand that this router does not support VLan - and if it did support VLan I would not know how to set it up?

There are certainly things I could do to make the wifi connection fasher and more stable than it is. But, it seems to me that a wired connection (the cat 6 wire is already there) is the best option if I could readily isolate it from the main network. It maybe that a "wired guest network" is not easy and I can move the XT8 node next to the TV for an excellent connection. Thanks for the reply.

Check your TV ethernet connection: generally TV have only a 100 Mbps ethernet connection speed, so it might be better to use a wifi connection, even if only wifi N.

Otherwise, you can setup a wifi bridge (a cheap device), just near the TV or at the other end of the TV ethernet cable (so you might be near to a XT8 node), that connects to your guest wifi network, so the TV is now on a separate network even if connected via ethernet.

There are certainly things I could do to make the wifi connection fasher and more stable than it is. But, it seems to me that a wired connection (the cat 6 wire is already there) is the best option if I could readily isolate it from the main network. It maybe that a "wired guest network" is not easy and I can move the XT8 node next to the TV for an excellent connection. Thanks for the reply.

You will need a smart switch with VLAN support and you must be using guest wireless 1. Then you can put the TV in one of the built in Asus guest VLANs on a wired port. You can get Netgear or TP-Link smart switches in the $20 to $30 range, then search here for the tutorial I put up about using the built in VLANs.

Last edited:
Check your TV ethernet connection: generally TV have only a 100 Mbps ethernet connection speed, so it might be better to use a wifi connection, even if only wifi N.

Otherwise, you can setup a wifi bridge (a cheap device), just near the TV or at the other end of the TV ethernet cable (so you might be near to a XT8 node), that connects to your guest wifi network, so the TV is now on a separate network even if connected via ethernet.

That's still a wireless connection, probably worse than the current one.

I just got Starlink - so I am in the process of buying a new TV (replace my 7 yr old one). I will try to get a TV with better than a100 Mbps ethernet connection speed so solve the initial problem raised by Kildare. Then I can do what drinkingbird suggests with a vLan switch - which accomplishes my goal. I understand drinkingbird's issue with Kildare's wireless bridge solution but am not able to evaluate the expected signal loss. Kildare's solution certainly sounds easier. In any event, I thank both Kildare and drinkingbird for your help.

I just got Starlink - so I am in the process of buying a new TV (replace my 7 yr old one). I will try to get a TV with better than a100 Mbps ethernet connection speed so solve the initial problem raised by Kildare. Then I can do what drinkingbird suggests with a vLan switch - which accomplishes my goal. I understand drinkingbird's issue with Kildare's wireless bridge solution but am not able to evaluate the expected signal loss. Kildare's solution certainly sounds easier. In any event, I thank both Kildare and drinkingbird for your help.

It is unlikely anything you'll do on the TV will exceed 100M, I wouldn't worry about that. If you are having connectivity problems it could just be the TV, or it could be poor signal strength. Wired is always better if you can do it. The wireless bridge is just adding an extra hop, not making it a wired connection so I don't think that is going to make a positive difference, possibly make it worse. The antennas in the bridge may be better but you'd be better served just getting a better signal to the TV area (or doing hardwired which is basically foolproof).

Is the ethernet cable going to your TV connected directly to an XT8 node LAN port?
If so, you only need a wireless bridge located just side by side to your XT8 node, and in this way the wireless connection XT8-bridge would be at the maximum speed (AC or AX), no better cable solution.;)

And if I remember well, an XT8 router doesn't support VLANs....

Is the ethernet cable going to your TV connected directly to an XT8 node LAN port?
If so, you only need a wireless bridge located just side by side to your XT8 node, and in this way the wireless connection XT8-bridge would be at the maximum speed (AC or AX), no better cable solution.;)

And if I remember well, an XT8 router doesn't support VLANs....

All Aimesh compatible routers can support VLANs when guest 1 is enabled.

As for the official Asus support, article published just a week ago (2023/10/11), the only models that currently support VLANs after having created a guest network are:
  • RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro
  • GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AXE16000, GT-AX6000
  • ZenWiFi_Pro_ET12, ZenWiFi_Pro_XT12
  • ExpertWiFi Series
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1049415/

As for the official Asus support, article published just a week ago (2023/10/11), the only models that currently support VLANs after having created a guest network are:
  • RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro
  • GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AXE16000, GT-AX6000
  • ZenWiFi_Pro_ET12, ZenWiFi_Pro_XT12
  • ExpertWiFi Series
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1049415/

That is for something totally different from what I'm suggesting.

Wow. Thanks. Sounds like I can do what I want to do.
Save the trouble and just plug the TV into the Ethernet. The FBI is doing a chicken little. Your TV is not an IoT threat device.

Your TV is not an IoT threat device.

I've been wondering if the arriving new digital TV standards is going to open a new attack vector through our OTA TV antennas. :)

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!