What's new

ZenWiFi AX XT8 Firmware 3.0.0.4.386.42095

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I updated yesterday and had the same issue. Check your DNS settings on WAN. I have 2 pi-holes that I was using for name resolution and with this latest update, it didn't like that. My limited research says that DNS is "hardcoded" to whatever is given by the ISP with this update in an effort to satisfy some security requirement. Once I set the WAN DNS setting "Connect to DNS server automatically" to YES, my light turned white and I had access to the internet.

I'm still using the pi-holes for DHCP/DNS for the clients and the ZenWiFIs resolve from my ISP. Not my ideal solution but it works for now.

Last edited:
I'm using it and I haven't noticed any disruptions. My Samsung SmartThings hub didn't like it for a few hours, but things have settled down now. It did not however resolve my problem which is I can't get uploads to run faster than 200 Mbps despite the fact that my connection is 500/500 - what upload speeds are you getting over WiFi?

I updated yesterday and had the same issue. Check your DNS settings on WAN. I have 2 pi-holes that I was using for name resolution and with this latest update, it didn't like that. My limited research says that DNS is "hardcoded" to whatever is given by the ISP. Once I set the WAN DNS setting "Connect to DNS server automatically" to YES, my light turned white and I had access to the internet.

I'm still using the pi-holes for DHCP/DNS for the clients and the ZenWiFIs resolve from my ISP. Not my ideal solution but it works for now.

In wan I have: 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9

In dhcp I have nothng, so clients are told to use the router as dns server.

I would like to have 2 dns (primary and secondary) in dhcp as always, but this is the new way of doing this for asus (don't like).

Since feb 2nd update I'm facing problems with google sites (searches, gmail, analytics, or pages that use google fonts, google captchas...). I have done al sort of cominations in dns, with no results. From time to time, several times in an hour, I can't browse those pages. If I change the router all is ok, so the problem is the XT8. If I enable VPN in the router or in my computer all is ok.

Yesteday's firm didn't solve this problem, I I do not know what more to try.

It did not however resolve my problem which is I can't get uploads to run faster than 200 Mbps despite the fact that my connection is 500/500 - what upload speeds are you getting over WiFi?
My upload speeds are slightly slower (but still fast enough) however I'm not ready to say that is due to the latest firmware just yet since I'm been tracking slowness before this. Verizon and I have a few other things to work out first.

My upload speeds are slightly slower (but still fast enough) however I'm not ready to say that is due to the latest firmware just yet since I'm been tracking slowness before this. Verizon and I have a few other things to work out first.

Although I do no use it wired, I have tried and obtain the 600/600 I should have.

By wifi, only 270 mb, as I do not have any AX devices yet.

Still has the "not mesh client, can't update it's ip" messages in the system log. Even after full factory reset and power-cycle. Seems okay otherwise.

Disappointing...I'll continue to use it and see how it goes, though. If no crashes or other problems, most likely stay with it anyways.

Update: Back to 26044, this one is worse than 41793 here. Maybe next time. Happy that there's a stable release to go back to, though.

Last edited:
Updated and still having unreliability with Sonos app and speakers (errors about unable to connect to device, etc). Getting quite tired and frustrated with my XT8 setup. Have been stuck on release 25790 for a while and looking like may need to downgrade yet again! My setup is ultra vanilla, one router + 1 mesh node. If anyone has come across similar issues be interested to hear if have managed to resolve.

Thanks

Updated and still having unreliability with Sonos app and speakers (errors about unable to connect to device, etc). Getting quite tired and frustrated with my XT8 setup. Have been stuck on release 25790 for a while and looking like may need to downgrade yet again! My setup is ultra vanilla, one router + 1 mesh node. If anyone has come across similar issues be interested to hear if have managed to resolve.

Thanks
I have sonos speakers and this version is running fine for me: 9.0.0.4.386.41994

I have not tried to update to this new version yet. I use both pihole and sonos. Maybe I will wait.

So I tried this firmware and it works great so far. No issues with sonos or pi.hole. I did have to reboot the router after firmware update (which I forgot to do).

I manually updated yesterday from the beta, node then router, with no factory reset and all good after 24 hours.

3rd party IPv4/6 DNS is working fine.

Backhaul via 5 GHz-2, WPA3/AX, 80MHz channel and wireless speeds off the node are good, around 500-600 AC and 800-900 AX

Version 41793 would constantly drop my slave/node, which forced me to roll back to a prior stable firmware version. The current 42095 firmware version appears to have resolved the node drop problem. Nothing fancy about my mesh setup, which uses a wireless backhaul, and has a dozen connected devices at any given time. So far so good...

Edit: My node disconnected twice within the last hour which required manual reboots. Might have to rollback to a stable firmware version yet again. :(

Last edited:
The only thing not working for me since I just tried is connecting to an openvpn server via openvpn client under vpn. It doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks

It depends on the sonos speaker but for the beam I had to leave 2.4GHz on auto on the router because the sonos beam doesn't support n.

[edit, i have no idea why i was able to connect sporadically with the app with N only.. but that part may have been a router bug.]

Last edited:
I solved all my Sonos issues on any release (beta/production/alpha) merely by setting the 2.4 GHz radio bandwidth to 20 MHz only, not 20/40 MHz auto/co-existence, which is the default setting on ASUSWRT. The 40 MHz channel width theoretically increases the available bandwidth in 802.11n (now called "WiFi 4"), but in reality just makes it more likely to experience radio interference or incompatibility with pre-802.11n-2009 standards.

If you had sporadic connectivity with 802.11n, it may be that the auto/coexistence setting was picking a narrow 20 MHz channel but later changed to 40 MHz, depending on the devices connecting at the time.

I have two XT8s running as nodes to a GT-AX11000. All were running the 41994 beta firmware as I tried to install this new “stable release” to the XT8s only—unfortunately the AX11000 is still stuck on the 41994 beta per ASUS website. My system totally went to hell after the update—I reinstalled the 41991 beta back to the XT8s and my system returned to working flawlessly, “stable release” be damned.

Anyone have any info on what this latest build allegedly adds? My advice to those running devices on their mesh networks that haven’t all been upgraded to this latest official release is stay on 41991…

No problems at all with the latest firmware. I did a factory reset after update.

Does anyone know if I can shutdown the 2,4GHz and 5GHz-1 band? I only need the 5GHz-2 band. I use two nodes..

No problems at all with the latest firmware. I did a factory reset after update.

Does anyone know if I can shutdown the 2,4GHz and 5GHz-1 band? I only need the 5GHz-2 band. I use two nodes..
I had problems until I did a nvram clear. All perfect now.

You can shutdown a band easily. I have 5ghz-2 turned off. In professional settings, set "enable radio" to "no" in the band you want turned off:

1617130498541.png

Anyone else experience that router reboots when you log in to WEBUI/ and / or the Asus router app?
I made a reset but still same problem.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!