What's new

Zenwifi Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

meekgeek1

Occasional Visitor
I'm thinking if I should get a pair Asus Zenwifi CT8 at discounted rates from my ISP.

I intend to run RT-AC68U (main router) with x2 CT8 (in Aimesh node mode).

Anyone is using a similar setup?
Regular asus router with zenwifi units in Aimesh node mode.
Does your Guest Network function properly (devices cannot access main network)? and is broadcasting from all nodes?

I've read that for this to work, all units including main router must be Zenwifi units?

I'm thinking if I should get a pair Asus Zenwifi CT8 at discounted rates from my ISP.

I intend to run RT-AC68U (main router) with x2 CT8 (in Aimesh node mode).

Anyone is using a similar setup?
Regular asus router with zenwifi units in Aimesh node mode.
Does your Guest Network function properly (devices cannot access main network)? and is broadcasting from all nodes?

I've read that for this to work, all units including main router must be Zenwifi units?

AiMesh does not broadcast guest WLANs from remote nodes.

AiMesh permits adding AiMesh-supported routers as remote nodes to an AiMesh router/root node.

So, you should be able to use the CT8s as nodes on the 68U, but only the 68U will broadcast guest SSIDs.

I recommend using different SSIDs per band and fixed channels on the 68U.

OE

AiMesh does not broadcast guest WLANs from remote nodes.

AiMesh permits adding AiMesh-supported routers as remote nodes to an AiMesh router/root node.

So, you should be able to use the CT8s as nodes on the 68U, but only the 68U will broadcast guest SSIDs.

I recommend using different SSIDs per band and fixed channels on the 68U.

OE

thats horrible.
I've read somewhere that if it's all Zenwifi gear (no mixing of other AImesh product), guest network works fine from all nodes.

So what im curious is if I switch it the other way round:
CT8 (router mode) + CT8 (node) + RT68U (AP mode)

Would both CT8s broadcast a nicely working isolated guestnetwork?

I've read somewhere that if it's all Zenwifi gear (no mixing of other AImesh product), guest network works fine from all nodes.

Show us where you read this.

OE

My home network consists of pure ZenWiFi XT8, all of which run firmware 3.0.0.4.386_25524.
I just enabled Guest Wi-Fi for 2.4G on the web GUI, verified on my phone that it can find the guest Wi-Fi, and then moved next to a mesh node where 2.4Ghz signals from main router doesn't reach.
Lo and behold: my phone cannot pickup the guest Wi-Fi's SSID.
So conclution: pure ZenWiFi setup cannot do guest Wi-Fi on all nodes.

My home network consists of pure ZenWiFi XT8, all of which run firmware 3.0.0.4.386_25524.
I just enabled Guest Wi-Fi for 2.4G on the web GUI, verified on my phone that it can find the guest Wi-Fi, and then moved next to a mesh node where 2.4Ghz signals from main router doesn't reach.
Lo and behold: my phone cannot pickup the guest Wi-Fi's SSID.
So conclution: pure ZenWiFi setup cannot do guest Wi-Fi on all nodes.

sigh this is just plain disappointing.

@meekgeek1 there are a number of niggles with the XT8 and I assume these are present on the CT8. Still no resolution on the fact that the guest network can only be on the main hub. Secondly as a system it doesn't really hand together quite right - for example on my second base station only 5GHz wifi is working, no 2.4. No idea why. Tomorrow it will probably be fine and something else will be up.

The fact that there is still no user manual available shows they've released these a little bit premature, so proceed with caution.