What's new

ZenWifi XD4 satellite node 5Ghz radio dead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thomase

New Around Here
I just set up a brand-new XD4 system about a week ago. I have Verizon Fios and didn't want to mess around trying to get all my TV functions working with the XD4 as a primary router, so I set it up in AP mode with separate SSIDs for each band. I have ethernet running to 2 rooms on opposite ends of the house, so I have set it up in ethernet backhaul mode.

A few days ago, less than a week into setting this up, I noticed that my devices suddenly were not roaming to the 5GHz band on one of the satellite units. I have been using a Wifi analyzer app on my phone to monitor signal levels from the different nodes. It shows the MAC address, SSID, signal level, channel, estimated distance, and some other info for each AP, even separating out multiple discrete APs on the same SSID. The 5GHz band from the satellite unit in question seems to have just disappeared entirely. I can see from the mangament GUI that there are no 5GHz clients connected to this node, despite several being in close proximity.

Initially, the node's 5GHz radio would come back up after a reboot, but then disappear again after a while. Now it won't appear at all after a reboot. Are there any diagnostic tools that I can use on the CLI (via ssh) that I can use to help figure out what is going on? Unfortunately, only the main unit accepts ssh connections, so I'm not sure how easy it is to get specific information about the node in question.

I upgraded to firmware 3.0.0.4.386_43129 immediately after setting it up. I'll also say that it took quite a while for me to get everything working correctly in ethernet backhaul mode. Once I got everything working, I have to admit that I was rather pleased with the performance and was playing around with running internet speed tests from various locations in the house

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!