What's new

ZenWifi XT8: IGMP snooping and Roaming assistant won't work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JChris

Occasional Visitor
Device: Asus ZenWifi XT8 White in AP mode

1. IGMP snooping
After enabling Wireless > Professional > Enable IGMP Snooping, I connected my ISP IPTV via wifi (first I tried 2Ghz, but the box wouldn't sync via WPS, so I tried 5Ghz-2 and it worked). After setup was done, the image was working for a few seconds then froze, exactly the kind of behavior when IGMP is not enabled. I also tried with my ISP IPTV connected via LAN of the ZenWifi and the image also froze. My old $80 TP-LINK had IGMP snooping and it worked like a charm, it's ridiculous to have this kind of problem in a $400 device!

2. Roaming assistant
I created two 5GHz-2 with the same SSID in both units and enabled Wireless > Roaming assistant with a value of -60dbm. I connected to Zen#1 and moved far away and got a value of -65dbm, which should drop me, but it didn't happen, I stayed in Zen#1 with -65 ~ -70 dbm and never connected to Zen#2 which had -40 ~ -45 dbm in that place. The house is only a 2BR (120m2) and there is signal overlapping in some areas, but for this test I went far away from Zen#1

How to fix those issues? Maybe a fault unit?

Last edited:
I strongly suspect it is the firmware. If you read this forum, you will quickly see lots of broken functionality within the ZenWifi XT8. It's potentially a great little router, but Asus won't work with customers to fix the issues. There is another thread somewhere here with the XT8 beta firmware. If you want to waste a little time with people who might actually be able to sort out this potentially great piece of hardware, it might be worth you contributing in that thread and working with the developers directly. Don't however bother with customer support as it is effectively useless.

I strongly suspect it is the firmware. If you read this forum, you will quickly see lots of broken functionality within the ZenWifi XT8. It's potentially a great little router, but Asus won't work with customers to fix the issues. There is another thread somewhere here with the XT8 beta firmware. If you want to waste a little time with people who might actually be able to sort out this potentially great piece of hardware, it might be worth you contributing in that thread and working with the developers directly. Don't however bother with customer support as it is effectively useless.

I tried searching for the topic you mentioned using "XT8 beta firmware", but couldn't find it. Do you have a link? I'd like to add to the discussion and help if possible.

Even though it's ridiculous that the customers have to deal with this BS firmware in a $400 router. This was my first Asus router and will be the last for sure.

Update #1: I believe I found the topic - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...-with-full-functions-aimesh-2-0.65235/page-31

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!