What's new

Zenwifi XT8 Node Ethernet Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mattycee

New Around Here
Is anyone who bought the Zenwifi XT8 using an Ethernet backhaul? I am and every time I connect an Ethernet cable it will disconnect the satellite node. For some reason the app will only auto connect to wireless backhaul also and if I select it to default to Ethernet it will then flash blue and I have to power cycle it to get it to work again.

I am in the process of swapping it over tomorrow as I may have a faulty unit, but it is strange as it did not do this initially and I have used a Deco M9 mesh network previously and it worked flawlessly so the network point is not the issue. (I connected directly to the router anyway and it still crashed)

The weirdest part is I connected my laptop to the LAN port on the satellite and the WAN port was then connected to the network point and it stays connected for a few hours but still ends up crashing.

The main router is rock solid and I've had no issues with it, just the satellite node.

Does anyone have any thoughts/pointers as I've read the threads listed so far and while they are similar to my issue, they're not exactly the same.

Have you confirmed that the node is running the same firmware version as the router? If if is the same, you might want to consider a factory reset of the node to ensure that it is fully configured for the current firmware. This seems to have cleared up my issues with the router crashing occasionally.

You can factory reset the node by holding down the WPS button while turning on the node. Keep holding the WPS button down while the node resets. The LED will flash green a couple of times and then go out. Then you can release the WPS button and power down the node. When you next power it up, it will come up with the LED solid blue after it boots, meaning that it’s ready to configure. Power it off again, wait a few seconds, and then power it on again. This time it should automatically sync with the router once it is booted, syncing being indicated by the LED flashing blue. Once synced, the LED will turn white and you should be up and running again.

Last edited:
Have you confirmed that the node is running the same firmware version as the router? If if is the same, you might want to consider a factory reset of the node to ensure that it is fully configured for the current firmware. This seems to have cleared up my issues with the router crashing occasionally.

You can factory reset the node by holding down the WPS button while turning on the node. Keep holding the WPS button down while the node resets. The LED will flash green a couple of times and then go out. Then you can release the WPS button and power down the node. When you next power it up, it will come up with the LED solid blue after it boots, meaning that it’s ready to configure. Power it off again, wait a few seconds, and then power it on again. This time it should automatically sync with the router once it is booted, syncing being indicated by the LED flashing blue. Once synced, the LED will turn white and you should be up and running again.

Thanks for the information, both are on the same the same firmare and I've reset both multiple times without any success.

But I tried it again just now (using the WPS method) and I connected the Ethernet cable before it synced back with the main router and it's just rebooted and is showing white and has defaulted to Ethernet in the settings, which was not happening before (it always defaulted to wifi connection) I will keep an eye on this and hopefully your help has been enough to fix the issues I've been having with it so far.

I will update if it crashes again, but so far so good as previously it probably would have already started flashing blue again and all my wireless devices would have disconnected. Fingers crossed this fixes it!
Thanks again for the help.

Is the quick connect guide incorrect for Ethernet backhaul? It guides user through wireless backhaul setup. I did that, moved the node farther away where I wanted to use wired backhaul but it didn't work for me either.

I factory reset the node to start over but saw the Ethernet wiring diagram and can't recall if still had issues pairing the node this way but eventually brought them closer together with the wired confirmation and paired them again (like quick guide shows but with wired configuration). Since then the Ethernet uplink is indicated in the mobile app.

The mobile app still doesn't correctly show the 5G-2 is dedicated for user device use but defaults to dedicated wireless backhaul. The IP portal does not agree with this and devices can connect to the hidden 5G-2 network that's 160 MHz bandwidth. The mobile app continues to conflict with this so I just don't mess with 5G-2 settings in the mobile app. I ignore it since I can connect to it. I also used WPA3 for the hidden 5G-2 network which also limits devices that can connect to it.

Also, my wired backhaul is MoCa 2.0 Ethernet over coax. The MoCa adapter Ethernet port feeds my node's WAN port. LAN port from node feeds an Ethernet gigabit switch.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Is the quick connect guide incorrect for Ethernet backhaul? It guides user through wireless backhaul setup. I did that, moved the node farther away where I wanted to use wired backhaul but it didn't work for me either.

I factory reset the node to start over but saw the Ethernet wiring diagram and can't recall if still had issues pairing the node this way but eventually brought them closer together with the wired confirmation and paired them again (like quick guide shows but with wired configuration). Since then the Ethernet uplink is indicated in the mobile app.

The mobile app still doesn't correctly show the 5G-2 is dedicated for user device use but defaults to dedicated wireless backhaul. The IP portal does not agree with this and devices can connect to the hidden 5G-2 network that's 160 MHz bandwidth. The mobile app continues to conflict with this so I just don't mess with 5G-2 settings in the mobile app. I ignore it since I can connect to it. I also used WPA3 for the hidden 5G-2 network which also limits devices that can connect to it.

Also, my wired backhaul is MoCa 2.0 Ethernet over coax. The MoCa adapter Ethernet port feeds my node's WAN port. LAN port from node feeds an Ethernet gigabit switch.

I am not sure as I did it the way it was supposed to be done if the quick guide is correct and I have had nothing but issues with it. The initial set up was done with these being within 3 metres of each other, but when I reset it I left it upstairs, so to hazard a guess it is 20-30 metres apart, and this actual has held strong so far (Only been about 3 hours so far but it lasted seconds to minutes only previously)

I haven't messed around with the backhaul channel, as while it is working I am not game to ruin it, but I may do so if this stays up for a few days. My Wifi 6 devices currently connect at around 750-880Mb/s so that is plenty fast as my main devices are wired anyway.

I don't have gigabit speeds but the 5G-2 network at 160 MHz bandwidth gives my phone subscribed speeds most everywhere, including my yard. I don't drop 5G on my property. This gets the 5G conversation going for me. More device makers need to transition to 5G or multi band and leave congested 2.4G behind.

I can understand waiting until stability is obtained. I think you'll find it worth the effort once realized.

Are we going to see anything extra done with front haul with the XT8? With wired backhaul, is front haul wasted bandwidth?

Next evolution WiFi 6e will be a big deal once router and devices are available.

Are we going to see anything extra done with front haul with the XT8? With wired backhaul, is front haul wasted bandwidth?

Yes I am led to believe you can then use the backhaul band as a 3rd network which then uses the 160mhz frequency.

Yes I am led to believe you can then use the backhaul band as a 3rd network which then uses the 160mhz frequency.
I'm already using the backhaul from node as a 160 MHz bandwidth network (hidden with WPA3 encryption).

I was asking about the front haul from router; open discussion to all. I believe it's speculative in nature.

I'm already using the backhaul from node as a 160 MHz bandwidth network (hidden with WPA3 encryption).

I was asking about the front haul from router; open discussion to all. I believe it's speculative in nature.

Ah right, sorry my misunderstanding!

So I almost got 12 hours out of it and it crashed and won't allow me to connect via Ethernet again, was so happy I thought I had fixed it! I didn't swap it over today also as I thought I didn't need to.
Back to the drawing board!

So I almost got 12 hours out of it and it crashed and won't allow me to connect via Ethernet again, was so happy I thought I had fixed it! I didn't swap it over today also as I thought I didn't need to.
Back to the drawing board!
Are swapping the XT8 for a new one?

To reiterate what I ran into, I paired initially in the wireless mode per the quick guide. Tried to connect Ethernet and mobile app didn't seem to want to do Ethernet. I can't recall the exact issue but when I factory reset the node, it didn't want to pair with router node. Thinking about it now, I've seen situations where the main router needs to reboot in order to see the node again. Otherwise, the node may just flash blue continually.

But what I did was start over with the node and router back close together to pair again but with the Ethernet cable from router's LAN to node's WAN.

No idea if that helps you or you've gotten bad node? This is why I was asking if the quick guide was incorrect for Ethernet setup. Does anyone know? Seems my issue could have been avoided if I just rebooted the main router after resetting the node. Maybe that would have worked too.

Are swapping the XT8 for a new one?

To reiterate what I ran into, I paired initially in the wireless mode per the quick guide. Tried to connect Ethernet and mobile app didn't seem to want to do Ethernet. I can't recall the exact issue but when I factory reset the node, it didn't want to pair with router node. Thinking about it now, I've seen situations where the main router needs to reboot in order to see the node again. Otherwise, the node may just flash blue continually.

But what I did was start over with the node and router back close together to pair again but with the Ethernet cable from router's LAN to node's WAN.

No idea if that helps you or you've gotten bad node? This is why I was asking if the quick guide was incorrect for Ethernet setup. Does anyone know? Seems my issue could have been avoided if I just rebooted the main router after resetting the node. Maybe that would have worked too.

I am going to swap it out but they are waiting for stock to come back. Tomorrow I am grabbing a AX11000 to tie in with the XT8's and hopefully it'll help with the overall stability.

I may try again tomorrow as well and pair the node via Ethernet direct to the router and see what it does to its overall stability then

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!