What's new

ZyWALL USG 50 vs Cisco RV 120W

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Coldegg

New Around Here
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums (and site, only been reading for a few weeks) and have a few questions. I am starting a small business (4 - 5 employees) in April. Currently I am working on getting everything set up and network items planned out.

My IT equipment will be: several laptops and a desktop or two, a networked laser printer, a D-Link unmanaged gigabit hub, 4 - 5 SIP phones (with Fonality service from the looks of it).

The two pieces that I didnt mention there are my firewall / router, and wireless access point.

I just purchased a ZyWALL USG 50 for the router / firewall, and a Netgear WNDR3700 (v2 probably). However, I was looking over the forum and saw the Cisco RV 120W listed, and it looks like it has some pretty nice options. My questions are:

1. Which would you consider to be a superior product?

2. Am I right that having a seperate wireless connection from my router will result in improved performance if several people at work will potentially be on wireless at a given time?

Well, I had a few other questions - but rather than go on about those, I'd just like some input as to which option others think would provide me with the best performance.

Thanks!

Justin

Superior? USG50, but its about $100 more so it should be superior.

The USG50 is a full UTM while the Cisco 120W is a firewall/VPN router. I suppose the 120W is more like the USG20W. However note that the USG's have gigabit ports.

As far as wireless is concerned, the 120W does have a single advantage with its built in wireless. You can setup a guest SSID and using VLAN segment it from your network so guests can get on the net but not see anything on your LAN. To do the same thing with the USG50 you'd need a second WNDR3700.

The USG offers many more features, especially the USG50 you already bought.

Thanks Claykin! I appreciate your help with that. I don't think that I am going to set up any guest LANs in the immediate future so I should be relatively safe in that area.

Justin