1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ZyXEL AC2200 MU-MIMO Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router Reviewed

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Apr 26, 2016.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

[​IMG]
    ZyXEL's AC2200 MU-MIMO Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router is a one-of-a-kind MU-MIMO router, and not in a good way.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Wait a minute... Someone decided in 2016 to release a new router based on the Quantenna QSR1000, despite the fact that every other products based on that chipset has proven to be a failure? I'm confused...

hggomes likes this.
  3. System Error Message

System Error Message Part of the Furniture

Even i said the quantenna internal design was terrible. Who puts wifi and one of the LAN ports on the same 1Gb/s interface?

pege63 and hggomes like this.
  4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Odd to see... but interesting that it's shipping with MU-MIMO firmware... obviously interoperability is going to be key for them.

Quantenna has taken a lot of flak in the consumer space - but at the same time, they've done pretty well in vertical applications.

5. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

MU-MIMO has been available from QTN for a few months now. It's been available in recent beta Asus firmwares as well. It would have been stranger if they had opted to release a new router using a 6+ months old driver without MU-MIMO rather.

6. Razor512

Razor512 Senior Member

They probably got a good deal on the hardware, or thought that if people are exposed to it enough times,they will grow to like and demand it.

7. Jeffrey Goldman

Jeffrey Goldman New Around Here

The problem with this review is comparing to routers costing much more than its price. I got this router for $99 and at that price it's a bargain - I don't care if it doesn't match up to an ASUS RT-87AC router. Surprisingly, the biggest performance gain has been in the Gigabit wired performance - it doubled the performance of my ASUS RT-AC56U. If you can get it for $99 it doesn't matter if holds up against the other AC2200/2300/2600 routers since it's 50% of the price of those other routers.

8. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

My DirectTV wireless video bridge (OEM'ed by Linksys of all folks, these days Wistron makes them direct) is based on QTN... works fine for the limited application that it does...

9. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but there is a minor typo on the first page of this NBG6815 review. Would you please change "Table 1 below summarizes the key components of the NBG6816 as well as two AC2350 class routers." to NBG6815?

Also, Table 1 has a column labeled ZyXEL NBG8615 instead of ZyXEL NBG6815

10. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Done. Thanks for the catches