What's new

ZyXel NAS540 Creates Phantom Folders

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lohr

New Around Here
I recently set up a ZyXel NAS540 with four WD Red 3TB disks. I am using a Mac Mini with the latest version of OS 10.11.
The problem is that after I moved my music and video files to the preconfigured music and video folders, the NAS created phantom folders with the same names inside those folders. In fact, every folder on the ZyXel now has a folder with the same name inside. Clicking on the phantom video folder shows another video folder, and another, and so on forever.
These folders only show when I log in using AFP. If I use SMB everything looks normal.
Anyone know what happened and how to fix it?

I have the exact same issue. Only I am using Windows (7 and 10 on two different PCs). Did you manage to fix the problem? I tried resetting the NAS to factory settings, upgraded the firmware, etc.. None fixed the issue. However, I noticed that, when I took out the HDD from the zyxel enclosure and connected it directly to my PC motherboard (with a EXT4 driver installed), through a sata cable, the file structure was OK - no ghost / infinite cascade files, like you also experienced. I am running out of ideas. If you found the fix, please do let me know. thank you!