What's new

Zyxel NSA325 - Making it secure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

travelbuddy

New Around Here
Hello, I've recently set-up a Zyxel NSA325 (2 x 1tb drives) for the 1st time in association with a D-Link 635 router. I selected 1 volume across both disks and have completed uploading all my photos/music/video on to the NAS disks. Now I what to ensure the files are secure. I have read somewhere that Routers automatically keep all inbound ports closed and therefore there is no risk of an attact getting past the router from the internet. So I would welcome any advice on how to ensure these files are protected from attack.
My thanks in advance,
travelbuddy.

Unless you open router ports specifically, routers block connection requests coming in from the internet. But nothing is 100% secure. You could download a virus or malware many ways, even by just visiting a "poisoned" website.

Make sure all computers are running automatically updated anti-virus software. You could also disable UPnP if your router allows this. This will prevent applications like Skype from automatically opening ports.

Also password protect your folders with a strong password for extra protection.

You can also use the schedule power down/up feature to shut the NAS down during hours you are not using it. Also disable Wake On LAN.

Thank you Tim and I have adopted your advice re password protecting the relevent folders on the NAS. My apologises for the slow feedback, which ahd been due to illness.

Unless you open router ports specifically, routers block connection requests coming in from the internet. But nothing is 100% secure. You could download a virus or malware many ways, even by just visiting a "poisoned" website.

Make sure all computers are running automatically updated anti-virus software. You could also disable UPnP if your router allows this. This will prevent applications like Skype from automatically opening ports.

Also password protect your folders with a strong password for extra protection.

You can also use the schedule power down/up feature to shut the NAS down during hours you are not using it. Also disable Wake On LAN.

I too have a ZyXEL NSA325 which I want to access via the Internet. I'd like to be able to access the Gallery function and the photo folders. Perhaps to let family and friends access these too. How can this be done securely? I have a no-ip account to enable access to the Gallery and the ZyXEL software. I need the "Dummies Guide" to configuring the system really! Cable Router via UK Virginmedia Smart Hub which is a Netgear CG3101D router in disguise.

Thanks,
Steve