What's new

ZyXEL UTM40 Anti-virus doesn't work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grml4d

New Around Here
i have one usg40 from nearly a year , i am not sure of its firewall perfs but sure that anti-virus is not working at all .
this product is shirt , i use latest firmware and when i browse its internal website for config and infos , i get a lot of time out.....using chrome is impossible...
i took it because of antivirus , but there is no light flashing for the case when one is found...
after 8 month and a lot of changes and edition of "config" not any of my webpage had been filtered...
https://picload.org/image/pooagpc/usg40webcapture.jpg

this product looks good but is not working , i mean that if customer take it , then antivirus/anti malware should work from day one...

the usb port is a good idea especially for managing updates from windows or linux....but even after i asked the support team to handle these addresses and prevent multiple same-download by using the usb stick for storing updates, no way nor help to do it simply....despite win10 is a bandwith killer

thank you for your review and others posters . i feel i ll try Bitdefender Box if i can not find a better [dd-wrt] firmware that handles "free antivirus definitions files..."

last time i asked them was in august , when i detected win10 was a bandwidth killer .
using a usb stick to keep updates [ or block some , made to spy users ] seems to be the right "use" for a product like this ...
i hope this topic will impulse big changes in next new firmware

the box seems working and had never felt down the floor .
here is a picture of the antivirus page :
https://picload.org/image/polrcop/usg40webcapture_antivirus.jpg
the setup is "short"...

here are few picture of timeS-out i had this morning

usg40webcapture_timed-out.jpg

usg40webcapture_timed-out1.jpg

usg40webcapture_timed-out2.jpg

Hmm, no sure about the browser timeout issue, haven't had that promlem on mine.

Can't tell from your screenshot if your setup is correct, cause you only included the anti-virus policy, but not the security policy.

These are the settings on my box and its working.

AV1.PNG
AV2.PNG

thank you for the posts , i found the security policy tab , there also i had a lot of time out .
i am a bit surprised by it , in your screenshot we see the utm/antivirus options , but this option is not present in all of my policies .
if i open the one from the WAN to the Zywall , then there is no possibility to use antivirus or others protections

wantodevice_profile_options.jpg

it is the same for all having zywall .
that should be a bug...because my modem is connected to wan and i think that virus should be checked there , may be also the lan outgoing but i am 99% sure my lan is not infected and does not try to attack the web ;']

i hope James that you will check the virus problem and also the whole interface that has too many pages looking always the same , beside that , if the usg40 could handle well the updates from windows and linux : like keeping the files in the usb stick , managing files through the admin website and also those that can be downloaded in lan [ that could help to prevent spies update ] that would make your product very cool .
if you want i can also do a backup of the flash memory if that can help to solve the time-out bugs

Hi grml4d,

When I spoke to Zyxel Support for help configuring the UTMs, they explained that the Anti Virus policy should be applied to "out going" rules.

The router will then scan the traffic when a device on your network accesses the internet. If your device goes to an infected site/server, the router will block the virus when the web site tries to respond to the client.

I was also unsure about why there is no option for the WAN to Zywall rules to use the UTM and they explained that is the design of the software. And it is based on how the UTM engines are designed to filter and scan traffic.

Hope that explanation helps!

i will use it...but you should rebuild all the firmware and its admin web...
you advert this product mostly with antivirus function but setting it ON , obliges to use windows in windows in windows in the middle of many others menus and submenus...
plus there is no way to keep antivirus function on when licence will be over...you should use an antivirus like comodo or else that gives for free the databases
https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/updates/vdp/database.php
http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx
http://downloadcenter.trendmicro.com/index.php?pattern_file=1

being Up2Date is good , but there are a lot of old virus still in the "Nature" so a one update per week or month can be enough...as well as a working antivirus with old definitions
i wait for windows update management ...by the firewall..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!