What's new

1.5GB fibre internet with AC86U (WAN speed)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
sorry for that may be a trivial question:

I am upgrading to fibre internet (1.5Gb/940Mb) from DSL (50/10Mb). I also found from local market place an used AC86U for really good price, however, it isn't clear to me if the WAN port on AC86U can support 1.5Gb download?

according to https://www.asus.com/ca-en/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-wifi-routers/rt-ac86u/techspec/, AC86U has "Gigabits BaseT for WAN x 1", thus I am assuming it can't take full advantage of the 1.5Gb download speed?

regards,

Yes, you are limited to 1Gbps speed. I have same package from my provider and I am using RTAX88U pro take full advantage of speed. You will need router which atleast have 2.5 Gbps WAN to take advantage of it.

Thanks. I was hoping to eventually upgrade to AX86U as it is the most recommended router in the Merlin community, but I suppose its WAN speed is also limited to 1Gbps. Will look into AX88U (though I can't really justify to spend that much).

regards,

I was hoping to eventually upgrade to AX86U as it is the most recommended router in the Merlin community, but I suppose its WAN speed is also limited to 1Gbps.
Have you checked the tech specs for the RT-AX86U?

Ports
RT-AX86U:
RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for WAN x 1
RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for LAN x 4
Five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports + one (1)
2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)
-- LAN: 4xGbE (2x port aggregation LAN)
-- WAN: 1 GbE
-- WAN/LAN: 2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)
-- Multi-Gig: Ability to aggregate two Gigabit LAN ports and two Gigabit WAN ports (configurable) concurrently.
USB 3.2 Gen 1 x 2

Asus has a tech support article on how to enable the 2.5G port as the WAN port for those routers which support it.
[Wireless Router] How to set 2.5G port as WAN type?

Edit to add: The ports on the RT-AX86U:
RT-AX86U_Ports.jpg

The RT-AX86U (original and 'pro' models) are not recommended for a while now. Both for not having at least one WAN and one LAN 2.5GbE port. The original is additionally not recommended because it won't receive 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware.

Having one 2.5GbE port for WAN or LAN is a dealbreaker for any ISP speeds greater than 1GbE and those and other similar models are out, just because of that fact.

The RT-AX88U Pro may be considered for testing in your environment to see how fit for use it is, but the more fully tested GT-AX6000 will also give you those features and support for 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware in the near future too.

I also found from local market place an used AC86U for really good price

This router had a long history of hardware and software issues and is approaching End Of Life state.

Accepting the ISP "deal" will now cost you hundreds of dollars in chasing the speed you perhaps don't need.

The RT-AX86U (original and 'pro' models) are not recommended for a while now. Both for not having at least one WAN and one LAN 2.5GbE port. The original is additionally not recommended because it won't receive 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware.

Having one 2.5GbE port for WAN or LAN is a dealbreaker for any ISP speeds greater than 1GbE and those and other similar models are out, just because of that fact.

The RT-AX88U Pro may be considered for testing in your environment to see how fit for use it is, but the more fully tested GT-AX6000 will also give you those features and support for 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware in the near future too.
Most people are not going to max out an ISP line that’s greater than 1Gbps with one device. You have to really try. Having a 2.5Gb port for wan allows for aggregate speeds above 1Gbps which is the more realistic scenario. Two 2.5Gb ports is preferable, but not necessary for almost any user.

Routers with multiple 2.5Gb ports are still pretty pricey.

No, they're not. The GT-AX6000 is a great example of that. Particularly on sale.

Yes, in aggregate, even 10/100 ports are enough for 'most users'. But that defies the point of having a greater than 1Gbps ISP speeds.

And misses the whole point when you do have a server that offers greater than 1Gbps speeds along with a client that is also capable of that too.

You can try to justify a hardware crippled router all you want, but it will be in vain, when the GT-AX6000 or the RT-AX88U Pro are the same price or cheaper.

If the price of balanced hardware is not low enough for certain (usually 'made up') budgets, the issue isn't fixed by spending 80% of what is needed to do it right.

It is fixed by either increasing the budget (if possible), or simply saving the last 20% before making that wrong purchase and needing to spend, 180% total, in the future to get where you should be now/soon.

sorry for that may be a trivial question:

I am upgrading to fibre internet (1.5Gb/940Mb) from DSL (50/10Mb). I also found from local market place an used AC86U for really good price, however, it isn't clear to me if the WAN port on AC86U can support 1.5Gb download?

according to https://www.asus.com/ca-en/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-wifi-routers/rt-ac86u/techspec/, AC86U has "Gigabits BaseT for WAN x 1", thus I am assuming it can't take full advantage of the 1.5Gb download speed?

regards,

Even if the AC86 had a 2.5G WAN port it may struggle to hit 1G even, much less 1.5.

If you want >1G you'll need one of the higher end AX or AXe (or wifi 7) routers with a 2.5G wan port, decent processor, and minimal features enabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!