What's new

RT-AC86U no Quick Internet Setup wizard and fails as AI-Mesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

delaveganz

Occasional Visitor
I have multiple RT-AC86U routers on two sites BUT I have one particular unit that I am unable to join as a node in an AI-Mesh system with an RT-AX86U router - i am using the ethernet connection from router LAN to node WAN port when adding the node.

I have tried different versions of firmware - including the latest Asus official 386.51529, Merlin 396.12.6, and older versions like Asus official 384.21140, 386.40451, and 386.51915, and also Merlin 386.9.0, and 386.7.2 which I understand have cferom.
I also tried using the firmware restoration tool, and resetting to factory default after each flash.

One observation I had is that on Tools-System Information, this problematic unit has bootloader 1.0.0.9 whereas my other RT-AC86U's that work normally have 1.0.0.6. Also, after a reset, the problematic unit does not go through the Quick Internet Setup screen.

Another difference is on the Administration - Firmware Upgrade page, this problematic unit reports on Note: 3. "The Firmware of ISP (Internet Service Provider) project is not compatible with the Asus retail models, and it's also unavailable for firmware manual update." while the working ones say "In case the upgrade process fails, RT-AC86U enters the emergency mode automatically. The LED signals at the front of RT-AC86U will indicate such a situation. Please visit ASUS Download Center to download Asus Device Discovery utility."

I suspect there is some NVRAM or CFEROM entry that is causing this issue and also affects AI-Mesh,, and the symptoms are manifested by the difference in the Firmware Upgrade page.

Note that this RT-AC86U does work as a normal router when in router mode (and as an AI-Mesh router when I add other RT-AC86U as a node), but does display that Note: 3. The Firmware of ISP project is not compatible with Asus retail models.
Also 386.46092 and older will display that Note 3: In case the upgrade process fails, RT-AC86U enters the emergency mode automatically.

Can anyone suggest to me what I can do to fix this router so I get the standard firmware functions and update note?

Attachments

• RT-AC86U-originalFW.png
    RT-AC86U-originalFW.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 25
  • RT-AC86U-cannotAIMESH.png
    RT-AC86U-cannotAIMESH.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
you can try to change/ modify CFE https://github.com/JackMerlin/How-to-flash-the-CFE-of-RT-AC86U-and-other-HND-routers

if you not familiar with it please consider that you can damage/ R.I.P. router doing It.
I saw that but I am not sure what entry needs to be modified and how the CFE bootloader is reloaded. I was thinking maybe there is a process to backup the CFE from the working versions of router and restore it onto this problematic one but can’t seem to figure how to do that.

Any thoughts?

2nd hand unit from a local online auction

I don't know why you collect this model in particular. It's perhaps the most unreliable Asus router released in recent years. The very first NHD model, overheating, sudden death, software issues, etc. Used units are high risk, many have issues. Many SNB Forum members lost one or more and replaced this model with something else already.

This model router works fine with me. They offer better grunt than RT-AC68U which was getting long in the tooth. And I have switched to RT-AX86U now. Have had this unit already for the past 2 years - and just trying to fix the issue. Otherwise, will just use it in the router mode until it needs to be retired.

Another difference is on the Administration - Firmware Upgrade page, this problematic unit reports on Note: 3. "The Firmware of ISP (Internet Service Provider) project is not compatible with the Asus retail models, and it's also unavailable for firmware manual update."
That message indicates that the territory code is set to one of these. What do you get from this SSH command:
Code:
nvram get territory_code

There have been reports of AiMesh compatibility issues with RT-AC86U's that were sourced from China trying to be used with units from other regions.

Thanks @ColinTaylor

The good unit says AU/02 🇦🇺 while the bad unit says CX/01 🇨🇳 so based on those threads, looks like I won't be able to fix this via reflashing, eh?
No, reflashing it won't make any difference. Unless you want to start hacking the CFE I suggest you stick with using it in router mode.

Have a look under the Wireless - Professional settings. Sometimes you can change the region there. But I don't think that will help in this particular case. YMMV.