What's new

1gbps Wireless router exist?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MesaMitch

New Around Here
Hey guys I am going to get a 1gbps internet connection from Comcast on Friday
I was wondering how can I get a 1gbps or close wireless connection to my pc with out using a Ethernet cable
I own a Asus RT-AC5300 right now

but I was thinking of buying the new Netgear Orbi ac3000 and using the 2nd unit as a bridge if it works that way?

does the netgear orbi with the 2nd unit have enough throughput to reach around 750 to 1000 mbps?

or should I buy another rt-ac5300 and put that in bridge mode?

what would be my best option on the market right now to get the most out of a 1gbps connection wirelessly

my computer to my router is this far away, the router I am going to move on the shelf to the left.

my router right now is sitting next to the xbox one
computer-to-router.jpg

Thanks guys!

Looks like an easy place to route wire along the floor boards up to the router. You will be much happier.

Orbi satellites will bridge only to Orbi routers.

You don't need two 5 GHz radios. An ASUS RT-AC87U is a cheaper 4x4 option for a 5 GHz bridge.

An Ethernet cable will be cheapest, best performing and most reliable option.

You guys convinced me to use Ethernet, so I called Comcast to install cable where my computer is. and it was free of charge sense I got 1 gbps

Thanks guys! For Saving me a ton of money on doing a bridge

Once you go Ethernet, you never settle for Wi-Fi! :)
??? I upgraded my home network to GigE sixteen years ago. Now I have over one hundred devices on my home network. But close to five dozen are wireless. And Every few months I add more and more wireless devices. And I'm using old 2011/2012 Asus routers in Ap mode for my four APs plus one in router mode. But that gets me 150Mb/s throughput with 802.11n. I don;t need ultra fast speeds with my wireless devices. But I am on the FiOS GigE tier now so I have plenty of Internet bandwidth if I need d it.

And by having five locations with wireless, I never have any speed, congestion, or saturation issues with my devices. They can always get excellent signal strength and excellent bandwidth

If you ever change to CAT5e your network would be much snappier than any wireless configuration. Wire just works better than wireless.

Once you go Ethernet, you never settle for Wi-Fi! :)

I would agree... nothing is better than bits on the one true wire...

That being said - whether doing a dedicated drop (which might not be possible in a rental punching holes walls) or running CAT5e across the floor (spousal approval - nyet, nope, not gonna happen) - WiFi, MoCA, Homeplugs might be the only option available.

WiFi is easy enough, esp now days with 11ac - and with the Mesh thingies, is probably going to be more popular that HPAV/MoCA or traditional WDS or dedicated bridges these days...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!