What's new

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz tests - Linksys WRT-1900AC vs. Asus RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I always find real-world experiences helpful.

I've been going back and forth on what router to try next and the WRT1900AC is very appealing but as is the R7000.

PS: My config avoids double natting

I just wanted to clear one thing up (now that I am back from vacation):
Since it came up as a possibility, I am NOT double natting:

I am using config #3 on the following page. It lists all FIOS Actiontec and user router (i.e. dual router config) combinations, as well as available features, pros and cons of each method:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077
3. Secondary LAN-to-LAN
LAN-to-LAN connection between Actiontec and user router. User router becomes a switch. WAN connection and firewall not used in user router. LAN DHCP server should be disabled in the user router. Instructions are detailed in this FAQ: »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?
PRO:
• Easy.
Avoids double-NATing. Port Forwards are configured in the Actiontec only.
• Good choice, if all you need is to connect your 802.11n router as a Wireless Access Point (WAP).
• VZ support for Actiontec.
• All current STB functionality supported. Guide, VOD, widgets, Remote DVR, On Screen Caller ID.

CON (edit by njweb - I am using a later generation Actiontec):
• Still subject to small NAT table in early (GEN1) Actiontecs. Does not apply to the Westell's larger NAT table.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specific instructions:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

Thoughts
Reviewing the guide again, I am wondering whether I could use another method so as to have the WRT1900AC act as primary and the FIOS Actiontec cable modem / router combo act as secondary.
It appears both FIOS TV guide and VOD functionality would still work with three of the four combinations that set the Actiontec as secondary (4,5,6,7).

Then again, so far * performance is fine, so I may leave well enough alone, plus my current config is supported by VZ and I get 'remote access to DVR' - I am still using SageTV (got in long before Google bought them out) for now due to higher storage capability and more advanced functionality etc., but you never know when I might switch to the FIOS DVR down the road...

That reminds me that I need to try out my Slingbox Pro HD that I got on sale.
Been busy with a big personal life event.

* I have been using this particular dual router setup - see 2nd link above - since the day I got FIOS.