What's new

3.0.0.4.246.19 txpower setting 2.4 100mW max?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

seth_space

Regular Contributor
After upgrading tot the 246 version merlin build i noticed the txpower setting 300mW using the 220 build for 2.4Ghz mode build gave the message: due to ce regulation 100mW is the maximum .

Under the 5Ghz setting 200mW is allowed. It seems this revision limits the settings. Any way around this?

After upgrading tot the 246 version merlin build i noticed the txpower setting 300mW using the 220 build for 2.4Ghz mode build gave the message: due to ce regulation 100mW is the maximum .

Under the 5Ghz setting 200mW is allowed. It seems this revision limits the settings. Any way around this?

It doesnt, it reports the right way you live in europe right ?
Following the regulations you may use 100mW for the 2,4 channel and 200mW for the 5 channel BUT i will even be adjusted by firmware itself due regulations.
They say there is a way around this by making your router thinking its US.\
But there comes a problem with that, then you can only use the channels of those country's.

Also it wont give you much gain to go higher anyway what are you trying to achieve anyway.
Better range better speeds ?
If thats the case you should consider better antenna's or something.
Because if you are going towards a 500mw you are going to degrade your signal and that would not be a solution for you either

when you have it at 100mW and 200mW for 2.4 and 5 what temperatures are the radios reaching? I've left mine at the default 80mW and my radio temps for 2.4 and 5ghz are 55°C

The problem with increasing the power is that it will only increase the transmitting capability of the router, but what about the client connecting to it?

It makes no sense at all having the router transmit with 500 mW when the computer only transmits with 100 mW. Sure, the computer will "hear" the router at a bigger distance, but the router won't "hear" the computer so it's useless.

Screaming out loud doesn't make it easier to hear someone who is whispering.

If you want to extend range by increasing transmitting power you must increase in both ends.

Better antennas on the other hand gives gain on both transmitting and receiving.

could i increase the power on the n66u from the default 80 to 100 without causing issues. I've heard the more power you give the radios the shorter the life of the router

Last edited:
Yes, you could but you wouldn't recognize any considerable improvement.

I'm running mine with 40 mW on both bands and I'm happy by avoiding too much electric smog... ;)

i was happy with the 300mW setting under the 220 build.

Two reasons for the higher setting: bridge mode, combined with directional antennas. Not sure how high the Bandwith will get. ( this for a special outdoor setting)

Under normal use the lower setting of 100mW seems to block the signal after 40 meters. The previous higher setting made a big difference and resulte din a better connection on both sides: laptop and router.

The tip to choose the US seting is worth trying i guess. But there should be a work around hacking the firmware the higher setting is available. It seems the 220 build did that.

bwt: both temps are around 55 celcius.

could i increase the power on the n66u from the default 80 to 100 without causing issues. I've heard the more power you give the radios the shorter the life of the router

On the tuning page you can monitor the temps.
Keep an eye on that.
If you don't go for crazy temps I wouldn't worry about shorter lifetime.

I've never seen my temp go over 55c and thats with the default 80mW TX power. What temp would you consider to be acceptable before any damage can be caused?

Changing power output has very little impact on the temperature. I've seen maybe 2-3C variation between normal and maximal output values here while experimenting.

Is 55˚c normal, or is it too hot?

i think on the DD-WRT page somewhere it had that if you increase the TX power it could decrease the life of your router.

Last edited:
Is 55˚c normal, or is it too hot?

i think on the DD-WRT page somewhere it had that if you increase the TX power it could decrease the life of your router.

55C is perfectly normal.

The DD-WRT disclaimer is there mostly as a general disclaimer. Keyword here is "could". :)

It doesnt, it reports the right way you live in europe right ?
Following the regulations you may use 100mW for the 2,4 channel and 200mW for the 5 channel BUT i will even be adjusted by firmware itself due regulations.

There are no regulations limiting output power in Europe. The only restriction is on ERP.

Is this the way it works?

The problem with increasing the power is that it will only increase the transmitting capability of the router, but what about the client connecting to it?

It makes no sense at all having the router transmit with 500 mW when the computer only transmits with 100 mW. Sure, the computer will "hear" the router at a bigger distance, but the router won't "hear" the computer so it's useless.

Screaming out loud doesn't make it easier to hear someone who is whispering.

If you want to extend range by increasing transmitting power you must increase in both ends.

Better antennas on the other hand gives gain on both transmitting and receiving.

Im not saying there isnt logic in this, but is this entierely the way it works? I figured since you were increasing the signal of the router that the signal would reach out further to "hear" further as well.. afterall you are increasing the radio strength of the router and the router doesnt simply use that radio to transmit ( shout ) but to receive ( listen ) ...

No, an increased output does not increase the antenna gain or sensitivity. You'd need either to replace the antennas, or to upgrade the laptop's emitter/antenna as well.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!