What's new

378.55 Firmware periodically waking up network attached printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Only found this thread today. I have an HP M252DW and this happens to me with 376.47 when it's connected via Ethernet, but not when it's connected via Wi-Fi. This has always bothered me! I'll try to install 376.49 or 378.54 and see if it stops. Thanks.

I have an ASUS RT-AC66U. I recently updated from firmware 376.49 to 378.55 and now my Canon Laser Printer is periodically waking up from sleep for no reason. The printer is connected via Ethernet. This started happening right after I upgraded the router. Something in the new firmware must be sending a signal over the network which is causing the printer to wake from sleep.

Additional information: I have found that this happens hourly, a few seconds after the hour. It may actually be on the hour as far as the router (RT-AC66) is concerned, but I can't see what time the router "thinks" it is. I know my PC time is accurate.

Same issue here with my Samsung network printer. Only solution so far is setting an IP Filter on printer interface blocking all traffic from router...

I guess no one has come up with a solution for this? I have an RT-AC68U and Canon MG6220 printer that keeps waking up. I'm on Merlin 378.56_2

Any ideas?

I guess no one has come up with a solution for this? I have an RT-AC68U and Canon MG6220 printer that keeps waking up. I'm on Merlin 378.56_2

Any ideas?

I had to revert to an earlier version. Problem disappears in 378.54_2. Not ideal, but the beeping was driving me crazy.

I had to revert to an earlier version. Problem disappears in 378.54_2. Not ideal, but the beeping was driving me crazy.

I have problem with the latest version RT-AC68U_378_56_2 with Epson LX 300+II

Before this version everything working fine.
After update the problem is the printer become disable after some time not using the printer dan router should be restart to fix the printing problem. what happen

I'm not sure, I haven't studied the new code in details (too many changes throughout the entire firmware these past few months), but I don't think much has changed there - it's mostly an ARP broadcast, and then any answering MAC gets probed to determine its OS, services, etc...

It's possible that even in sleep mode, the printer is visible by networkmap, and the new probing causes it to wake up (could be a test checking to see if it's offering printing services perhaps)?

This is just a guess however. If the wakings happen often enough, you could try killing the networkmap service on the router, and see what happens over the next hours. That won't make the issue any easier to fix, but at least you'll know for sure.

Over ssh:

Code:
killall networkmap

And avoid accessing the router's webui during that time (in case you hit one of the pages that causes the service to restart itself).

Hello,
I run 378.55 on 87U.
Is there a way to completely de-active/stop this process ? once killed, it comes back after only a few seconds .... (I ask because it wakes-up my NAS systems (both Synology) when the hard drives are spun down - so nothing do to with wake-on-lan in my case)

Thanks,
GS

So if the issue of the router waking up the network attached printer does not happen in earlier versions of Merlin firmware, I'd hope that he would be able to find a fix to this in an upcoming version.
Do we know if it occurs on the stock firmware that the current Merlin build is based on?

Upgraded to 378.57: same issues .... NAS wake-up from HDD spin-down every hour .......... any chances this get this fixed in 378.57 ?

Any update on this issue??

I've the same trouble with hourly wake up from my Synology NAS, no Log entries either in the Asus Log or Synology Log.

No problems if the firmware is below 378.55.
The 378.55 worked for me only if I disable NetBios and several network related services on my PC ?!?
Now I have to use 378.57 with the wakeup issue because that's the only one for my new AC88U :(

Last edited:
Any update on this issue??

I've the same trouble with hourly wake up from my Synology NAS, no Log entries either in the Asus Log or Synology Log.

No problems if the firmware is below 378.55.
The 378.55 worked for me only if I disable NetBios and several network related services on my PC ?!?
Now I have to use 378.57 with the wakeup issue because that's the only one for my new AC88U :(

Hi,
For the PC, you might want to check the options of your network card (via de device manager, assuming you run Windows) ; there you can specify that the device can only wake-up the PC (from sleep mode) via a magic paket. In W8.1, there is even an option saying "respond to ARP requests without waking-up the PC". And by the way, this is working fine for me, I mean my PC in sleep mode is not waken-up (router currently running 378.57), unlike the Syno.

For NAS Synology, until now there is no other way than using a "compatible" FW (i.e. 378_54_2 or below) :(

As GSpock said, it is rather well-known problem. Some NICs are configured to be waken up by a Magic Packet AND/OR Pattern-Matching Packet.

http://jack.ukleja.com/fix-for-windows-7-random-wake-from-sleep-problem/

This link explains well and shows a fix for Windows PC NIC driver setting, but probably gives you an idea for a fix for other devices.
It fixed my PC waking up very frequently. (almost always right away)

I never thought my router was causing it. I thought it was caused by my ISP's own equipment attached to my LAN.
It was happening when I was using some other brand of routers, not Asuswrt. So it's not Asuswrt specific.

However, if the router is sending out some pattern-matching packets arbitrarily, it might be a security concern.
If it's a firmware specific problem, there should be a way to fix it.

No progress on this at all? It's really quite annoying that my Canon printer keeps lighting up all the time. Is there no solution at all to this?

I'll add an nvram control that allows to disable the hourly full network rescans. That will take care of things for people with NASes and network printers, at the expense of a not always accurate networkmap (disconnected/turned off devices might not immediately disappear from the list unless you refresh the list through the webui).

I'll add an nvram control that allows to disable the hourly full network rescans. That will take care of things for people with NASes and network printers, at the expense of a not always accurate networkmap (disconnected/turned off devices might not immediately disappear from the list unless you refresh the list through the webui).
That would be absolutely wonderful! I'm so sick of this printer turning on all of the time.
Please keep us posted as to when that's available.
Thanks!