What's new

380.61 - Asus RT-AC87U rebooting 4-5 times a day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alexander Savkin

Occasional Visitor
Hello everybody!
Once installed firmware 380.61, router-Asus RT-AC87U spontaneously rebooted 4-5 times a day. When you try to flash an older firmware version (380.59, 380.58) nothing changes, it is version 380.61. How can I return to the firmware 380.59?

I have a similar situation. In the case where the author recommends firmware reset to factory settings.
У меня тоже самое. Можно попробовать сбросить до заводских настройки. Нет желания настраивать заново((

I have a similar situation. In the case where the author recommends firmware reset to factory settings.
У меня тоже самое. Можно попробовать сбросить до заводских настройки. Нет желания настраивать заново((
It is better to return to the firmware 380.59, but how?
Лучше вернуть на прошивку 380.59, но как?

I am running 380.61 on my AC87U and have 21 days without any reboots. While I am only a light user with no USB devices or anything odd running on the router, I find 380.61 to be stable.

If you check Administration - Performance Tuning, what temperatures are being reported? I have 2.4GHz, 5Ghz and CPU reported at 44C, 70C and 72C respectively with an ambient temperature of 25C. I have the AC87U up on four little legs (old milk bottle lids) to improve the airflow.

I went back to 380.59, will be watching. I have a lot of devices and 5 active users. Reboot occur during active use. When no one is home - does not restart

Reboot occur during active use.
If you check Administration - Performance Tuning, what temperatures are being reported? I have 2.4GHz, 5Ghz and CPU reported at 44C, 70C and 72C respectively with an ambient temperature of 25C. I have the AC87U up on four little legs (old milk bottle lids) to improve the airflow.
Do you think that the reboot is due to the active use of the router and processor overheating?

Hello everybody!
Once installed firmware 380.61, router-Asus RT-AC87U spontaneously rebooted 4-5 times a day. When you try to flash an older firmware version (380.59, 380.58) nothing changes, it is version 380.61. How can I return to the firmware 380.59?

You cannot downgrade to anything under 380_3000 due to a change in the firmware's file image. Also, any Merlin version under the alpha 380.60 version is no good either. However, you can use the firmware recovery utility to flash back to any version you like including DD-WRT or USBTomato. Those steps are:

1. Power down the RT-AC87U.
  2. While powering up the router press and hold the reset button until the power LED blinks slowly. This means the router is now in recovery mode. When power led starts blinking slowly, release the reset button and proceed.
  3. Make sure to match the IP and subnet mask of your router. For example, if your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then manually adjust your ethernet adapter's (yes you need one) IP to something like 192.168.1.10 and the subnet must match exactly, usually 255.255.255.0. The LAN tab will bring you to your router's LAN IP and subnet mask if you are unsure.
  4. With the router in recovery mode attach your ethernet cable to any ethernet port other than #1 as that is the RealTEK switch and will not work.
  5. Now use the firmware recovery utility to flash whatever you want.
  6. Clear the nvram by powering the router down once flashing is complete, then power it back up while pressing the WPS button until the power LED blinks rapidly.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Configure your settings manually or by using the nvram save/restore utility from john9527 which you can get here. You will have to use the nvram utility before starting to save your firmware settings if you wish to use it to restore your settings after downgrading.
Good luck.

Do you think that the reboot is due to the active use of the router and processor overheating?
I do not think. Only changed the firmware, but not user activity or the weather. Yesterday returned to 380.59 - a night active use has not been rebooted. Already 12:00 is stable.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
You cannot downgrade to anything under 380_3000 due to a change in the firmware's file image. Also, any Merlin version under the alpha 380.60 version is no good either. However, you can use the firmware recovery utility to flash back to any version you like including DD-WRT or USBTomato. Those steps are:

1. Power down the RT-AC87U.
  2. While powering up the router press and hold the reset button until the power LED blinks slowly. This means the router is now in recovery mode. When power led starts blinking slowly, release the reset button and proceed.
  3. Make sure to match the IP and subnet mask of your router. For example, if your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then manually adjust your ethernet adapter's (yes you need one) IP to something like 192.168.1.10 and the subnet must match exactly, usually 255.255.255.0. The LAN tab will bring you to your router's LAN IP and subnet mask if you are unsure.
  4. With the router in recovery mode attach your ethernet cable to any ethernet port other than #1 as that is the RealTEK switch and will not work.
  5. Now use the firmware recovery utility to flash whatever you want.
  6. Clear the nvram by powering the router down once flashing is complete, then power it back up while pressing the WPS button until the power LED blinks rapidly.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Configure your settings manually or by using the nvram save/restore utility from john9527 which you can get here. You will have to use the nvram utility before starting to save your firmware settings if you wish to use it to restore your settings after downgrading.
Good luck.
Thank you, I have returned to 380.59.