What's new

382.1 broke static route

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Accessing any client/routers uplink from the secondary router is never going to be an issue. This works normally in almost all scenarios but in my situation I need access to the secondary router, ac68u and its clients, from the primary router, the ac88u. Port forwarding port 80 on the ac68 does not seem to help either.

Does this make my issues clearer?
Not really. I was asking about your access to the clients on the 192.168.2.x network not the router itself. I'm trying the determine whether it is just 192.168.2.1 that is inaccessible from 192.168.1.x or the whole 192.168.2.x network.

I can imagine there being issues accessing Samba or the (LAN-side) web interface from 192.168.1.x as both of those are bound specifically to br0, but that shouldn't affect other devices on 192.168.2.x.

Not really. I was asking about your access to the clients on the 192.168.2.x network not the router itself. I'm trying the determine whether it is just 192.168.2.1 that is inaccessible from 192.168.1.x or the whole 192.168.2.x network.

I can imagine there being issues accessing Samba or the (LAN-side) web interface from 192.168.1.x as both of those are bound specifically to br0, but that shouldn't affect other devices on 192.168.2.x.

I cannot access any client using SMB on the 192.168.2.x subnet although I can ping them. For example I have a laptop connected to the ac68u with 192.168.2.194 as IP; I can both ping and tracert it from the 192.168.1.x network and that's about it. I cant access its shared files/folders.

The static route I have entered on the ac88u seems alright otherwise I would neither be able to ping or tracert any client on the other router but why I can't access any of their shared folders/files is a complete mystery. Of course, file sharing is properly set up on all clients, both windows and mac.

I cannot access any client using SMB on the 192.168.2.x subnet although I can ping them. For example I have a laptop connected to the ac68u with 192.168.2.194 as IP; I can both ping and tracert it from the 192.168.1.x network and that's about it. I cant access its shared files/folders.

The static route I have entered on the ac88u seems alright otherwise I would neither be able to ping or tracert any client on the other router but why I can't access any of their shared folders/files is a complete mystery. Of course, file sharing is properly set up on all clients, both windows and mac.
As Jack pointed out, the firewall on the 192.168.2.x clients will need to be turned off for SMB access to succeed. Bear in mind that as far as all of the 192.168.2.x devices are concerned the 192.168.1.x network is part of "the internet". Windows firewall, by default, will block all unsolicited access from the internet.

The most confusing thing about this is not the fact that it isn't working, but rather that it ever worked in the first place. Windows clients and the router services will drop/ignore access attempts that are not from the local subnet (192.168.2.x). The only way I can see this might have worked is if you have the router's firewall turned off and NAT turned on. Even then...

Last edited:
As Jack pointed out, the firewall on the 192.168.2.x clients will need to be turned off for SMB access to succeed. Bear in mind that as far as all of the 192.168.2.x devices are concerned the 192.168.1.x network is part of "the internet". Windows firewall, by default, will block all unsolicited access from the internet.

The most confusing thing about this is not the fact that it isn't working, but rather that it ever worked in the first place. Windows clients and the router services will drop/ignore access attempts the are not from the local subnet (192.168.2.x). The only way I can see this might have worked is if you have the router's firewall turned off and NAT turned on. Even then...

Exactly. I was also very surprised that it worked in the first time but then I could also access the hard drive connected to the router at 192.168.2.1 besides other clients via SMB without even disabling the firewalls on any client. I had NAT and firewall turned off on the router back then. Heck I could also access the router's webui using that same IP without remote WAN access being on. But now my main concern is accessing the hard drive on the router. Is there even any way out? I've tried pretty much everything so far...

Try creating a /jffs/scripts/smb.postconf script on the AC68U as follows and then rebooting.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

sed -i "s/^interfaces =/interfaces = $(nvram get wan0_ifname)/" $CONFIG
Then try accessing the router's shares from 192.168.1.x using the following:

\\192.168.1.10\sharename\