What's new

5 Ghz wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr.No.pt

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone.

I just got a unit of this very nice router. Flashed the latest firmware and started playing with it.

One possible problem i have is that i'm not getting any 5 Ghz signal downstairs in the lower floor.
The 2.4 Ghz signal is at maximum but 5 Ghz shows nothing in my HTX One X. ( 1 bar or nothing out of 4)

I haven't tweaked anything in the wireless settings besides use a password in WPA2 -AES.

Do you think i got a faulty unit and should send it back ?

Some help would be nice.

Thank you all. :)

Your router is not necessarily faulty, although it could be *smile*. The range of 5GHz. signals is much shorter than the range of 2.4GHz. signals...go a couple of rooms over or downstairs, and your 5GHz. signal will be a lot more attenuated than the 2.4GHz. ones. As the frequency of signals go up (and the wavelength gets shorter), the signal is absorbed by obstacles like walls and floors much more, in addition to being more attenuated with distance. So if the 5GHz. signal is reasonable in the same room and a room or so over, you're probably okay, but your expectations for 5GHz. signal propagation should be a lot lower than for 2.4GHz.

For example, in my living room, about 40 feet away and a couple of walls, my 2.4GHz. signal is "excellent", while my 5GHz. signal is usually just a couple of bars at the most. And that's pretty normal.

Roger is correct. 5 GHz range is significantly less than 2.4 GHz. Walk you HTX One X closer to the router and see when the signal appears/disappears.

Have you used the phone with other 5 GHz routers or is this the first time?

It`s the 1st time.

I`ve raised the router in the upper floor and now i have 3 out of 4 bars in the lower room.

Problem solved but it`s nice to learn new stuff.

Thank you :)