What's new

5400RPM vs 7200RPM Drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ultragc

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am planning to buy the DS411+ and get myself four 5400RPM Seagae ST32000542AS-Bare Drives. Obviously the 7200RPM is faster. My question is, does this matter when comes to read/write thru the network? Given the 100mbps or 1GBps max speed (if you can reach it), one would think the 5400RPM drive would be more than sufficient.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

My understanding from the limited research I have done into a similar setup is that 7200rpm drives merely generate more heat without any significant performance increase? Depends how much of a power user you intend to be I suppose.

My intention is for home media file sharing and video streaming. If the read/write spedd will always be quicker than the network speed, that basically tells me that getting a larger RPM drive may not worth going towards.

For large files there will be hardly any difference. For small files there might be more as the faster drive will obviously have quicker access times. The difference will be less as the network will add a bit of latency too, but there should be some difference.

Now the big question is will it make a difference for you, from your description I would guess it will not.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!