What's new

5GHz Adapter for Old Laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Getting back to the original question - best adapter for USB and 802.11ac in my experience for Windows has been the USB-56AC from Asus...

companies whitelist adapters so they cna charge you a lot more for one of thier "approved" ones.

Erm, not really, it's about reducing support calls when things "don't work"...

Keeping in mind that most folks are not as savvy as the collective group here that can work through issues...

I used the same driver off the Intel web site for both. The wireless PCIe card is an Intel AC-7260 wireless card.

Thank you Tim. I have the Edimax N450 adapter and it works well. I may have to upgrade to the Edimax AC1200 now after reading your review.

That wouldn't be the AC450 nano adapter (5GHz only) - EW-7711ULC

For an older laptop, might be the easiest way to add some 5GHz love (along with single stream performance in 11n (N150), and 11ac (AC450).

That wouldn't be the AC450 nano adapter (5GHz only) - EW-7711ULC

For an older laptop, might be the easiest way to add some 5GHz love (along with single stream performance in 11n (N150), and 11ac (AC450).

No it's the EW-7733UnD.

I've seen it go both ways... much depends on the chipset and drivers, along with antennas...
-n card with 3 antenna is fast and stable vs. Intel 7260AC. My laptops have Qualcom
bigfoot -n card which I like.