What's new

802.11ac beamforming report makes no sense!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Uri

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,
maybe someone more experienced in reading .pcap files could help me. links at the bottom.
I have a single 802.11ac client (rivet killer 1535) and an AP (Linksys EA8500), and I have used a macbook air 2014 wireless diagnostics tool to sniff the packets from the air.

Just as the spec orders, every 100 ms. the AP sends out a Null Data Packet Announcement (NDPA) and the client sends back a beamforming feedback report.
The problem is that the beamforming report should describe a matrix of size Nr X Nc, but the values of Nr and Nc makes no sense!

Nc = the number of Space-Time-Streams, as it is specified in the NDP. this value should be between 2 and 8.
Nr = Min between the above and the number of antennas at the client.
(see 802.11ac-2013 page 57)

However, the value specified in the beamforming report is Nc=1! And on the other hand, the report includes the avg. SNR for Space-Time Streams [STS1,STS2,STS3..,STSNc] (see 802.11ac-2013 page 58), and there it shows 8 values, indicating Nc=8!

Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

802.11ac-2013 spec, full pcap and pcap with just the NDPA and beamforming reports can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7X38eaciUXGM3ExZG1kRFFpWnM&usp=sharing

Thanks,
Uri

802.11ac-2013 spec, full pcap and pcap with just the NDPA and beamforming reports can be found here:

Might want to pull down the IEEE specs, as you might get into trouble there...

802.11-2012, if I recall, is available free from the Get IEEE site (they need a registration), but 11ac, if I recall, is still a paid document...

Might want to pull down the IEEE specs, as you might get into trouble there...

802.11-2012, if I recall, is available free from the Get IEEE site (they need a registration), but 11ac, if I recall, is still a paid document...

Thanks @sfx2000 , I pulled it down...

I have used a macbook air 2014 wireless diagnostics tool to sniff the packets from the air.

If you're using the Air to pull down packets - the driver there is still spewing bad captures... over the air it's fine, it's the WCAP's on that task that are borked, and even with 10.11.2, it's still borked..

So I understand why you're asking - probably time to invest in an AirMagnet or similar...

If you're using the Air to pull down packets - the driver there is still spewing bad captures... over the air it's fine, it's the WCAP's on that task that are borked, and even with 10.11.2, it's still borked..

So I understand why you're asking - probably time to invest in an AirMagnet or similar...

@sfx2000 aren't you a resourceful guy to have around :)
Just to clarify, your point is that the Mac's hardware is fine, but the software side is doing a bad job and spits out errors in the result, and buying a dedicated software for that, such as Airmagnet, might solve the problem, even running on a Mac, correct?

@sfx2000 aren't you a resourceful guy to have around :)
Just to clarify, your point is that the Mac's hardware is fine, but the software side is doing a bad job and spits out errors in the result, and buying a dedicated software for that, such as Airmagnet, might solve the problem, even running on a Mac, correct?

Talk to Fluke and some of the other players - about your project and what you're doing, and perhaps datashare... getting decent caps on 11ac is a problem...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!