What's new

802.11ac stable router rec needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zedpol

Occasional Visitor
Hi All, Time for me to buy a router. I'm looking for the most stable router known to man that is relatively easy to use (no ubiquiti). I don't need anything super fancy in term of VPN or fileserving but I wouldn't complain if the router had those features. I've been pouring over reviews but can't seem to find anything that addresses stability. Only other requirement are gigabit ports.

Thanks for the info!
Z

From my experience wireless stability on routers/APs are random. Regardless of model or brand or type or industrial. Within the same model, brand and such only some end up being stable, some stable through modifications (such as fan, firmware etc) and a lot tend to hang every once a while regardless. If your wireless router hangs even once a month you should be sure to get a replacement.

Stability is assumed that is why it is never mentioned in reviews. Find something that fits your needs that has good firmware or compatible with 3rd party firmware.

This is why i use wired mostly.

Hi All, Time for me to buy a router. I'm looking for the most stable router ...Only other requirement are gigabit ports.

it would be helpful if you defined stability with more detail. For example, stable link rates for each wireless connection? at what range and which frequency?

sorry, by stability I meant a router that doesn't disconnect, reset, or require resets.

Seems like the best price/performance/feature balance is in the 802.11 ac 1900 and 1750 routers. Anyone feel differently?

thanks,
z

No, I'd agree.

Of the routers I currently have. WDR3600, I've had to do two resets over the course of close to a year of use now (in both cases my iPhone 5 would refuse to connect to the internet through the WDR3600 running in AP mode).

With my Archer C8, I just had to do my first had power cycling. Reboot didn't seem to clear it. Had an issue where 5GHz wasn't appearing at all and connecting through 2.4GHz was providing performance in the 1-2Mbps range. Hard power cycling it restore previous performance (>200Mbps). That is with...dunno, 4 months of use I think?

Even with other routers, Netgear, Asus, etc. I've never experienced a router that was PERFECTLY stable 24/7/365. I think the best of the best I have seen might glitch 1-4 times a year.

The models you're looking at are inherently unreliable by their very nature (everything-in-a-box), let alone the AC-class group, which are still at least a bit flaky (baring special firmwares and a fair amount of trial-and-error). I'd suggest a solid wired router paired with as many access points (purpose-built APs or re-purposed AIOs) as needed. As depressing as they may be to read now, you'll be living large when it comes time to troubleshoot/swap/upgrade your routing/switching/wifi. Just my two cents. :)

Hi Zed - Do you want out-of-the-box functionality, or are you comfortable flashing third-party firmware? I know you mentioned "relatively easy to use", but that can mean a wide variety of things...

For routing, a $50 WNR3500Lv2 flashed with Tomato can be perfectly rock solid, assuming the workload is light enough. I've deployed dozens for my SOHO clients. For something stock (and thus supported and warrantied), the Cisco/Linksys RV/LRT series or TP-Link metal enclosure stuff seems to review decently well (I'd say those are still in the try-and-see category). Moving up a bit in price, turn-key security appliances could be an option. Value players like Zyxel have killer options in the $200-300 price range. I've done numerous USGs for small business clients, and for basic topologies without a lot of on-device workload, they'll run until the end of time without needing a reboot. But again, in the budget space, as soon as high-performance needs arise with stuff like VPN, firewalling, NAS, etc., you're best to delegate each to a purpose-built box of its own.

For wifi, unfortunately steve's advice probably holds true, but if you simply must pull the trigger, then the first method would be to re-purpose a consumer all-in-one router into AP-only mode. By doing so, you limit the work scope and keep firmware buggyness at manageable levels. Last I knew, the Netgear R7000 or Asus AC68U were the frontrunners for AP duty. Or if you're an Apple head, then the latest airport extreme base station isn't fairing too badly either. The second route would be an actual business-class AP, standalone or mesh, whichever your preference. For AC, stuff like the EnGenius ECB1750 or D-Link DAP-2695 come to mind. Expensive? Certainly. But in my experience, they tend to "just work" better for their intended purpose. Your mileage may vary.

Hope some of those thoughts help. :)

I'd personally stay away from the WNR3500L of either version.

I've owned 3 and 2 died eventually. I'll granted they all lasted a few years first and they are extremely low power. Performance was okay, but nothing to write home about. For the same price, the TP-Link WDR3600 can be had brand new and has MUCH better performance for routing, storage and wireless through put and range (also print server if you want it too). Can also run OpenWRT if you want open source. And you get 5GHz.

How about asus rt-68u AC vs netgear nighthawk r7000 vs tp link archer c7 ac 1750. Those seem to be the ones I see listed here the most. I read that reviews on them but they all are a little bit older and not on recent firmware.

Thanks for the input.

-z

I'd personally stay away from the WNR3500L of either version.
The radio/antenna and the stock firmware do leave a much to be desired, which is why I only use it running a confirmed reliable third-party firmware, with the radio disabled entirely, and dedicated access points wired in. It drastically lowers heat, boosts efficiency and life span. In that type of setup I've never had a problem with 20+ units so far, and we're approaching the 2-year mark on many of them. Lets keep in mind that we're dealing with a $50 device here... the el-cheapo route for those who don't want to step up to a real SNB-class device (which I always try and sell first and foremost). So I'd say getting more than a year or two out of anything at that price point is doing quite well. But to each their own.

Moving on, if we're staying with consumer AIOs, the TP-Link C8 or C9, or a Netgear R7000 may be a good bet. Stock firmware on those seems to be decently reliable. Merlin firmware on the Asus stuff seems to be the way to go there. I'd expect at least a year of trouble-free operation on that stuff, heat and cheaper internals all considered. Anything more would be gravy. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!