What's new

86u antennas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gar

Very Senior Member
Before finding a more/less permanent location for my new 86u I was wondering if anyone has experimented with the antenna orientation since one of them is internal. With my old 56u and it's 2 internal ants I had to play with the location, it seemed to work best in a cone from the front.

Before finding a more/less permanent location for my new 86u I was wondering if anyone has experimented with the antenna orientation since one of them is internal. With my old 56u and it's 2 internal ants I had to play with the location, it seemed to work best in a cone from the front.

Moving them around can make a difference, but I've come back to the W formation and then rotate the whole router to aim that however makes sense for the home layout or distant node. My router is near an outside brick facia so I hold it off the interior wall as much as possible. Central, high, in the clear, and W formation.

An RF engineer can offer better insight! :)

ASUS should give us a clue to the antenna beam pattern.

OE

Last edited:
I can't measure a difference no matter how I position it or orient the ants. All 3 are vertical and unit is aimed toward area I need it most. Not too scientific...

I can't measure a difference no matter how I position it or orient the ants. All 3 are vertical and unit is aimed toward area I need it most. Not too scientific...

I recall when I went all vertical, the signal upstairs/2nd floor and downstairs/basement weakened a bit.

OE

Last edited:
That makes sense. I'm in a 1500 sq ft 1 story house, it's probably less critical.

On page 10 of the user manual there is a picture of what Asus recommends for antenna pattern.

On page 10 of the user manual there is a picture of what Asus recommends for antenna pattern.

Yep, the W formation for antenna positioning, but it's not clear what the antenna beam pattern is.

Website manual, page 10:
Capture.PNG

OE

Emission pattern is basically a doughnut around the antenna.

Reading the page posted by Ozarkedge and it says 4 external antennas. The picture only shows 3. Mine only has 3. Is this a typo?

Reading the page posted by Ozarkedge and it says 4 external antennas. The picture only shows 3. Mine only has 3. Is this a typo?

For the 86U, yes. The 5.0 GHz band only has a 4th internal antenna.

OE